DEVONthink 3.0 Public Beta

Huh, didn’t realize Devonthink used a seat-model for licensing. At least they have 2 included seats, so most people shouldn’t be affected. And of course, the mobile app is a separate purchase.

I decided to give it another chance after seeing the beta of v3, and even bought the pro version of DTTG. At this point PDF notes in annotations don’t sync, which is pretty discouraging.

FWIW, this is a known-issue, that they are trying to sort out.

I was just considering to ditch DT, as I don‘t really use its features enough and still find it clumsy to use. But now of course I‘m curious again. Probably I will give the new version a try. And probably I will end up using it more or less as a Finder again …

I’m a little bummed about the change in pricing models for this new version. I’m a single user who has DevonThink on six machines. I have one machine in each of my four work locations as well as a work laptop. For version 2 that was one user, but for version 3 that’s going to cost me almost $500 to upgrade as it’s two included seats plus an additional four more.

Probably the usual response would be along the lines of, “well, you use it at work so your company should pay for it” but that’s just not going to get approved by my purchasing department. This is not corporate software, it’s my personal use software. They’re not going to be willing to pay for it even if I’m using it for work notes, instructions, serial numbers, etc.

I’m all for having corporate users pay for all their seats, but there also needs to be a single-user-friendly pricing model as well. And I understand I’m probably among a tiny minority of DevonThink users but I feel in a way like I’m getting a little taken advantage of. Well, that’s perhaps a little strong but still, there’s no way I’m going to spend that much on the new version as just a single user. I would’ve happily paid $50 a year, say, if they had a subscription model but I can’t really continue on with the software if I’m going to have to come up with $500 for it.

Email the company explaining your use case. I’m sure they’d be happy to hear you out.

2 Likes

They do specify seats instead of machines. Not sure about the difference, though.

@Shruggie , the details on the seats i.r.t. machines is described here:

OK, so theoretically you can move a seat between machines, but in practice that’s probably inconvenient.

More discussion on licensing.

They have said that it’s going to be in the Mac App Store, too.

IIRC the MAS allows for 5 computers, and I don’t think DevonTech has any way around that.

Of course it could be higher priced, too, so we’ll have to wait and see.