Dictation on device?

I like that iOS 15 has removed the 60 second time limit on dictation (at least for more recent iOS devices). However, because I am an attorney, I am concerned about whether my iPhone dictation is processed solely on device as I want to avoid my clients’ confidential information being processed in a third party system (such as Apple’s servers). This seems to be the case as dictation still works on my iPhone when disconnected from the internet.

Does anyone here have any pointers as to where I can find information to get myself comfortable with this? Is dictation in the Drafts app processed any differently to iOS dictation? Lastly, is there a difference in the way iOS dictation and Siri dictation is processed - I think the latter is done off-device?

Thank you in advance.

As long as you trust this to be up-to-date:

When you use Dictation, your device will indicate in Keyboard Settings if your voice inputs and transcripts for general text Dictation (for example, composing messages and notes, but not dictating in a search box) are processed on your device and not sent to Siri servers. Otherwise, the things you dictate are sent to and processed on the server.

1 Like

Thanks Gem - this is very helpful.

What is not clear to me is the form of indication shown by the device “if your voice inputs and transcripts for general text Dictation … are processed on your device and not sent to Siri servers”. Where do you think you see this indication? Sorry if I am overlooking something obvious!