Did MPU Change the link icon?

Just finished the upgrade to Catalina on my iMac. The epic tale will be documented later. However one immediate oddness. In my Safari bookmarks I have this forum as one of my favorites, of course. But now instead of the MPU icon at the beginning of the link somehow it’s changed and is now the same as the DavidCo GTD forum. I even resaved the link. I suspect something is messed up in my system but no idea where to fix it. Just curious and wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

I suspect things are wrong in the favicons section but not sure how to fix without corrupting something else.

Looks the same in Brave.

This Macworld article may help:

I have no diagnosis, but some further observations. I have this same problem, but I get the Macstories favicon. If I open a link from MPU in a new tab, it has the correct MPU favicon.

I followed the directions there. Reposted here for easy reference.
To delete Safari’s cache:

1. Quit Safari.
  2. In the Finder, select Go > Go To Folder .
  3. Enter ~/Library/Safari/Favicon Cache/ and press Return.
  4. Use Select All (Command-A) to select the database and cached items.
  5. Drag these to the trash or press Command-Delete.
  6. Empty the trash.
  7. Launch Safari.
    Safari will eventually repopulate the favicon cache.

This seems to be working. Slowly icons are coming back and the MPU one is now correct after I refreshed the top page.

1 Like

I’ve had this problem from the beginning with Catalina – I usually keep the Sidebar open in Safari and the bookmarks there are forever changing their favicon, inheriting the icon for the bookmark previous in the list, whatever. I do the empty cache thing every once and a while, and it works (as reported), then after a few hours everything starts falling apart again.

E.g., MPU Talk has the icon for Zengobi, but Zengobi doesn’t have its own icon, it has DEVONthink’s.

Screenshot of Safari (3-27-20, 4-15-50 PM)

Good to hear this did the trick. In my experience, this sort of issue is almost always related to local caching.