Did we over-criticize the butterfly keyboard?

I could eat pulled pork sandwiches, popcorn, cheetos and whatever over my PC keyboard and it wouldn’t matter. I could use it to swat flies, slap people or hammer nails into the wall. And I’d be more worried about the wall… :smiley:

Prove it then! :laughing:

Have you ever worked in an office? :slight_smile: Some keyboards wouldn’t work as a hammer, but unless they clean them regularly tons of keyboards are filled with food debris.

Form over function. Which unfortunately is something Apple likes to do every now and then.

There’a a butterfly keyboard in my MBP. If I’ve typed on it 5 times over the last 3 years it’s a lot. Horrible experience. Especially for a laptop that’s so expensive.

The 2017 MBP is altogether not the best thing I’ve ever purchased.

IBM Model M. Heavier that a MBP 16 (an MBP+an iPad, or 2 Mac minis), more durable than a Nokia 3310, intimidating sound and built with pyramid-spec parts and QC. Double keycaps, so you can easily clean them in the washing machine (I do this once a year). The keyboard against which all keyboards are measured. I went trough at least a dozen PCs with this keyboard.

And attached to my Mac: Apple Extended Keyboard II. Not in the same league as the M, but Apple’s greatest keyboard.

1 Like

I loved those keyboards. :smiley:

Just as a reminder, it is still 2020… :wink:

They should stop making a mess and be more professional at their workplace.

Oh yeah, it is 2020…

People wash keys in washing machines these days?

No better method to get keycaps perfectly clean.

BuzzFeed says otherwise.

Remove keycaps: 1min. Throw them into a sock and put in the washing machine: 1min. Get out of washing machine: 1min. Put keycaps back: 3min. That method is for people with too much spare time.

At least it isn’t as unconventional. :crazy_face:

Not sure if you’re kiddong or serious. Eating at one’s desk and working through lunch is part of many people’s daily lives - and that almost inevitably results in keyboard debris.

And with most keyboards not really a problem. They will work. Only that piece of crap butterfly design capitulates after a single cookie crumb. The dangerous one: drinks. With lots of sugar.

Yes, but you should at least be neat when eating food.

That is a bit extreme, don’t you think?

Pouring Coca-Cola into a keyboard or laptop? Nah, seen often enough.

They didn’t tell me, but at least one or two of my repairs were after AppleCare expired. This is a 2016 computer so I think AppleCare ran out around 2019.

New battery? Yes. New computer? Nope. :cry:

I didn’t eat over my keyboard, much less Doritos or Cheetos.

I used to eat breakfast at my (Toshiba Win 98) laptop, with a tall glass of orange juice… had to replace the keyboard after a spill.

I’m with you. I love typing on the butterfly keyboard, but I had to endure months of wonkiness until I had to time to get it replaced. That has happened to me twice so far. I hope this one lasts, but I am not too hopeful.

1 Like

So…is your argument that the problems with these keyboards are user-inflicted, due to a lack of cleanliness?

That seems to be the gist of what you’re saying.

Right. And it can’t really be cleaned out much of the time - only replaced. Every other laptop keyboard I’ve run into was just fine after a nice blast of compressed air.

We actually cleaned a IIgs keyboard after an errant Coca Cola way back in the day. Put the whole thing in the dishwasher without heat, on the more gentle cycle. Good as new.

1 Like