Did you do your yearly review of your subscriptions?

I do track and review my subscriptions, but most of my on-going subscriptions are monthly based. I am not sure having commitment for such long time and tbh I’m not satisfied and will not continue some of my last 3 yearly subscriptions (pinboard, fiery feeds, feed wrangler).

I will continue subscribing yearly to fastmail and tidbits though.

The ongoing monthly subscriptions are netflix, pocket casts, feedbin, spotify, icloud storage, youtube, club macstories and wevpn.

I will once my TV+ subscription ends in April. Unfortunately, we don’t have Fitness and News. Not sure how much I will have to pay since Apple One Family is the only thing available here with 200GB of iCloud.

Ah, forgot about TextExpander which will probably get axed on my side too. It’s always been slow on my Mac and I found Typinator, which is way snappier. I do not think Smile has earned my subscription money as TE does not provide a recurring service (it’s not the storage of my measly text files that’s costing a lot) and development has been thoroughly neglected. Not enough apps on iOS use it, and I’ll end up with an M1 Mac on the road anyway.

1 Like

I use (and will use):

• Adobe Creative Cloud
  • SetApp
  • MS Office
  • Apple iCloud Storage
  • TextExpander
  • Airmail

if I was not grandfathered in on that $20/year subscription rate, I would definitely reconsider. As I have ranted about ad nauseum, they are really a low effort company.

and DayOne is on the razors edge of getting canceled this year after dropping TE support.

2 Likes

I’m grandfathered too… but I’m not using it anymore on my Mac. Typinator is far superior in both reactivity and features. As I think I’ll be moving my mobile computing towards a small M1 Mac instead of my iPad, I will probably have less and less need for it on iOS, to the point where it will get axed, probably this year.

Smile should be forced to send a % of their sub revenue to Agile Tortoise. If it wasn’t for Drafts, TextExpander would be a dead app on iOS.

at this point, Drafts and GV Connect are the only reasons to even use TE on iOS.

1 Like

Ulysses too, if you write. And it’s convenient having it in OmniFocus. But I agree that this state of things is shameful.

I had a Ulysses subscription for a little while but they do not support fill-in snippets so its crippled imo. I write in Byword. If I need the “uber features” of Ulysses, I just use the program they copied, Scrivener. A lot of people do not know about Byword but I am sure I have used it for 10 years or so… Its just always been here. It fully supports TE with fill-in snippets on iOS and also has publishing functions for wordpress and other blogs.

5 Likes

I know about Byword but wasn’t aware it worked with TE. Will look at it again, thanks for the pointer!

I do like to review my subscription each year and I have a few that are guaranteed to be renewed each year.

To keep.

1Password - without fail. Keeps us safe from using stupid basic passwords and my wife is in on it too after lots of convincing!

Todoist - for me personally this is my life in one place. Plus due to a price error on their systems which they admitted to me early this year I’m getting a years subscription each year renewing at £5.88. It’s not worth cancelling for that alone!

Netflix - yes I’m sure there’s lots out there but I get more moneys worth watching Big Bang a lot for the subscription alone. There is plenty of content there to keep us entertained for now.

Apple Music - wife and I both have this. Whilst we don’t listen to AM every single day, it’s nice for the convenience for when we want it.

Wife’s iCloud storage - this is crucial for her content.

Google storage - this is for my pictures/ videos.

We are pretty certain we aren’t going to renew Disney + later in the year. Which is a shame. But we just don’t watch it enough. This means I have less than 6 months to finish all the Star Wars and the start watching the Mandalorian! Plus there’s so many Disney classics from my childhood I’ve never seen. I’m ashamed to say what they are because it’s truly criminal lol

2 Likes

Parted ways with Setapp and TextExpander. One can only take so many “loginwindow has disabled TextExpander” errors.

2 Likes

I dislike subscriptions and prefer to use apps that I own. I don’t mind paying for the upgrades when they come around.

App Subscriptions:
TunnelBear VPN
Fastmail
Drafts

Axed:
Ulysses in 2020
Bear in 2021

3 Likes

canceled my DayOne subscription today.

their discontinuing support for TextExpander is what ultimately got them canceled. though seeing an app I subscribe to being sold raised concern. will continue to use the grandfather’d version.

I check every month to make sure subscriptions I don’t want are not inadvertently added. I don’t care for them (understated ;o).

Still keeping up with not subscribing to anything which doesn’t provide a continuing service. That means only apps are:

• 1Password (since they provide the syncing service)
  • Quicken (investment, bank syncing, and a large number of positive updates)
  • Adobe Photography (and boy would I like to get rid of this, but I do use its Cloud so I guess I can say its a continuing service even though I pay too much for the Apps).
  • $2.50/year to iStat Menus for weather feature.

That’s it for apps. Service subscriptions:

• Web hosting and domain registrations
  • Backblaze
  • Amazon Prime because you have to.
  • Netflix
  • Plex Pass (mainly for TV listings and local TV dvr)
  • Apple Plus
  • New York Times (online)

And not related to computers at all are several print magazines.

@tomalmy I would encourage you to consider the Plex Lifetime which is generally 50% during blackfriday sales. I bought mine years ago and well worth it.

I review annually and unsubscribe often… I have changed my thoughts on subscription over the years which made things a lot better for me:

I try to review subscriptions annually. Incidentally, I reviewed just before this thread got bumped. Here’s what made the cut:

• Apple One
  • Backblaze
  • 1Password
  • Craft Docs
  • Paperpile
  • Letterboxd
  • 1Blocker
  • Carrot Weather

Trialling:

• Glass

I could probably cut Letterboxd, 1Blocker, and Carrot Weather but they made it because of their delight or usefulness.

1 Like

I’ll keep my eyes out for this. I’ve used Plex for many years and basically resented that even when used free it now phones home rather than let me have a 100% local operation. Early this year I bought an HDHomeRun TV tuner and paid for a year of Plex Pass to try it out. Since this has worked out great the lifetime Plex looks good.

Anyone here is a Wired.com subscriber? I had a hard time trying to reach their website to cancel subscription. The website is always unreachable and after trying for many days, I’ve given up and forgotten about it. Today, I saw that they have automatically renewed my subscription for another year and charge my PayPal account. I really dislike this type of underhanded way of keeping subscriber and it’s really giving subscription a bad taste! :rage:

I’m still pretty pissed over this and have file a PayPal conflict. Hopefully it can be resolved. I am not in US and so is not able to call Wired telephone number. I’ve left them an email. Let’s see.

Coming here to warn anyone who might have fall into such trickery.