Did you do your yearly review of your subscriptions?

I disable the automatic renewal right after I pay my annual subscription. In this way no surprises and I’m in control of the payment. Also I make it a point to NOT to have the credit card info on file with the vendor.

Only few like Netflix, HBO and similar ones which have a easy unsubscribe options gets to keep my card on file.

4 Likes

In my experience PayPal is useless for this stuff. I try to use a real credit card with real dispute procedures for any vendor that might be an issue.

1 Like

Maybe you can file a complaint on your credit card too. Just an idea.

I don’t like subscriptions due to exactly possibilities like that.

Good luck!

I have Overcast for free. It’s a good app. ;o)

I tried to do that too but Wired.com astrocious “managed subscription” website is always unreachable. It’s appalling to see such a well known brand goes this route to trap their subscribers. It’s alright if I can’t dispute this $30 charge. It’s an expensive lessons that I learned, especially not to use PayPal.

I’ve run into at least a couple sites now (can’t remember which ones right offhand) that won’t let you get rid of the credit card on file. Theoretically if you disable auto-renew that solves the problem, but it’s irritating when you can’t just torch your financial information.

A random trick is, if possible, to use cards that are expiring soon for purchases you intend to be one-time things. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s one of the reasons I thought I can hide behind PayPal. Let’s see if they can help me with the dispute.

Best is to dispute and mark the transaction as Fraud, if the merchant makes it hard to get hold of customer support or make it hard to unsubscribe. If they get enough people complaining then the merchant will realize it the hard way

What led you to cancelling overcast? I loved the app pre-subscription and still use it with my standalone license still in effect. I think the only feature subs added was to go to a website and upload audio files I want to be added to my overcast. Why I can’t do that locally on my device like VLC through file sharing, I don’t know. I guess it’s to push people into paying for a sub?

Unsure what other features his sub offers.

1 Like

I remember there used to be a place in PayPal where you could edit or remove the cards that were associated with a subscription. I don’t have any subscriptions/recurring payments currently, but you may be able to stop future payments. I hope you can dispute the charge. Wired’s subscription page is definitely a challenge to work with.

I would look into privacy dot com. I use it for trial subscriptions where they make it difficult to cancel. You associate a limit for a virtual card such as $5 or one time use then close card.

1 Like

Surprisingly, both PayPal and Wired responded to my dispute and refunded me immediately. That’s so smooth and fast!

1 Like

Yes, I do annual reviews of subscriptions. For me this year I’m keeping:

Apple One
G Suite
Fastastical
1Password
Superhuman
Backblaze
Grammarly
PDF Expert
Obsidian Sync & Publish
Amazon Prime
ExpressVPN

In the last year I dropped:
Ulysses
Sqarespace
Day One
Textexpander
Dropbox
Carrot Weather
Craft

I did my 2022 review a little early.

Losers:
Parallels - not worth subscription as I don’t use my M1 Air anymore.
Tweetbot - not really a twitter fan anymore

Keepers:
Adobe Creative
AppleOne
SiriusXM
TextExpander
1Password
Backblaze
Radarscope
Drafts
Fiery Feeds
Mulvad VPN

Added:
Disney+
Copy Em (nice app)
Airmail Pro (mail apps on iOS = disgusting swamp but Airmail sucks less than the others now)
DayOne (was cancelling, backed out. one more year to decide)

My subscription list doesn’t change often.

1Password
Backblaze B2
Google Workspace
iCloud
Instapaper
Microsoft 365
Mobile Passport
Tripit Pro (my 2020 subscription was extended until July 2022 free due to Covid)
Tweetbot

I don’t subscribe to any streaming services full time except for YouTube Premium. Currently I’m subscribed to Apple TV+.

Last June, Wired was going to increase their subscription price from $20 to $40 a year by July. They don’t provide account number for digital subscription making it more difficult for non-US subscription. I emailed WIRcustserv@cdsfulfillment.com and ask to cancel my digital subscription. I forgot where I got that email but I think it was hidden under subscription or account handling. Same day, I received an email that they are processing the cancelation of my annual subscription.

I wish you luck and hope they cancel and refund your sub.

WIth New Yorker, I have to call their US number just to cancel because I don’t know how to cancel and they renewed a $150 subscription a week before it expires. As much as I love that magazine and their tote bags, I will never subscribe again. That cancelation process cost me about $20 in phone bills.

Glad it was easy to cancel subscription on the App Store. It was not straightforward but at least I don’t need comb through multiple sites.

I just saw this after my lengthy reply LOL

has anyone added an apple care subscription (after the 3 years) yet? 2 will be added to my sub count in the next 2-3 years.

I added it for an iPad used by a young family member to cover accidental screen damage. Have needed to make use of it twice so far even with it in a case.

I have an iPad mini that is at least that old. I love Apple Care. I call them often. They are very helpful and patient, like all of you!

I have it on every device that they’ll cover.

1 Like