Did you do your yearly review of your subscriptions?

We don’t have an AppleCare subscription option :pensive:

We just got it a year or so ago… give it some time. Apple loves to take your money.

1 Like

I’ve finally gotten around to my ‘annual’ review (hey, it’s been a tough year).

Active:

• Overcast
    – for Watch support, though I haven’t set it up properly still
  • Apple One Family
    – for Homekit Secure Video, Music and iCloud storage; Arcade and TV+ are nice to have, no Fitness here maybe ever
  • Additional 200 GB iCloud storage
  • The Times of London
    – great price in Thailand…
  • HomeRun 2
    – cheap and useful
  • Elgato Stream Deck
    – was great when I taught online using my Mac, now I’m going to use the school’s Windows computer I haven’t checked if it’s useful
  • Netflix
  • Clime Weather Radar Live
    – nice radars, only $5 a year
  • iConnectHue
    – adds intelligent automation to sensors
  • Craft
  • More Power Users
  • Six Colors
  • Backblaze
  • SetApp

Expired:

• 1Password
    – not for me any more
  • Hello Weather
    – I prefer the radar in Clime
  • Castro
    – I keep trying this, but it never sticks
  • Just Dance Now
    – would love it for fun fitness on Apple TV, but it crashes
  • YouTube
    – tried it for the music and liked the playlists, but I’m sticking with Apple One

Me for 2022:

Looking at the number of subscriptions I have now makes me hate myself.

Adobe Creative (this and Drafts provide the most value for subscription)
AppleOne (meh)
Drafts
TextExpander (sigh, need it for iOS and Fill-In snippets on macOS)
1Password
FieryFeeds
Radarscope
Airmail (my complaints were fixed, Im back)
DayOne (was going to cancel, could not do it even though I don’t use it to its potential)
FieryFeeds
Copy 'em
Backblaze
Mulvad VPN
FeedWrangler RSS
SiriusXM (mobile only)
Envato Elements
Skillshare
Newshosting Usenet

2022 Losers
Disney+
Netflix (now free with my T-mobile)
Luminar X
Tweetbot

AUD 220-ish? sometimes with a 40% discount. Probably good value … if you use it.

Some of these sites need a lobbyist or similar to get their courses registered as formal qualifications.

1 Like

$168/year… I used my .edu to get it for about $80… I use it for Logic Pro, Adobe, Final Cut, etc.

you can get LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda) for free through your local library so that is a good alternative with a more “business” focus though it has great adobe classes and other creative stuff also.

Bottom Line: I use both.

3 Likes

What’s the advantage of skill share over linked in learning?

I review my subscriptions monthly and most subscription of which I’m not certain of in the long term is cancel after subscribing… I easily forget canceling them on time so this strategy works for me.

I currently have:

• Netflix
  • Amazon Prime
  • Drafts, in doubt with this one… I do not use it that much anymore
  • Bookends for iOS
  • Fantastical, which includes Cardhop in the subscription these days
  • Tweetbot
  • Adobe Creative Cloud, mainly for Lightroom, but because I also study at the university I get a discount on the full Creative Cloud.
  • Apple One, we share this within the family. We stopped using Spotify
  • OmniFocus, not sure what to do with it. I will wait for Omnifocus 4 and might decide to buy a license.
  • Readwise: experimenting with it, but not sure if it will stick
  • 1Password, but it’s free for the family because my employer has an Enterprise agreement with 1Password. If I need to pay for it I would probably switch to Apple keychain or Bitwarden.
  • Snagit, also because my employer has a license for it, I really like it so might buy it myself if needed.

Expires:

• Bear, used it some time, but did not stick
  • Textexpander, will let it expire. Alfred does the job for me.

I used SetApp for a while, but many apps I already bought a license for and I’m a little afraid I will spend too much time trying all these apps :smiley:

2 Likes

There is a better selection of creativity app tutorials on Skillshare. Logic Pro, Ableton Live, Daniel Water Scott Adobe tutorials, etc. If you can only do one or prefer the free one then LinkedIn is the obvious choice, but LinkedIn just rechurns out the same old videos when there are updated apps. For example, Adobe Premiere Pro is on v.22 but the tutorials on LinkedIn are v14 and LinkedIn is more focused on the Corporate Cult.

1 Like

you can also check out creativelive.com. I bought an annual plan during blackFriday last year

I did a quick search for Premiere Pro classes and creativelive only has 3.

What specifically are you using it for so I can see their offerings?

mainly still photography stuff, also only camera hardware, camera settings, may get into LR at a later stage

ah ok. maybe that is their focus then. Im more into video editing and related.

you may be right, it is also a mixed bag there

I love Subtrack for this purpose.

It’s a native, One Time Purchase app and gives a lot of control. I even track all my domains, business subscriptions, personal subscriptions and everything can be tagged, filtered and organized. I even see how much I pay per week on average.

3 Likes

Just did another review because of my issues with iCloud syncing. I scaled back from Apple One Premier to Family plan. Didn’t need the extra storage and I wasn’t getting much value from News+.

“Forever Five” Subscriptions:

(borrowed from @MereCivilian)

Apple One
Dropbox
1Password
Fastmail
Backblaze

Other Subscriptions:

Usual streaming suspects - Netflix, Disney+, Prime, Stan, Binge
Letterboxd
Carrot Weather

On chopping block:

Paperpile
Craft
1Blocker
Castro

1 Like

Do you mind me asking what you switched to, if anything?

I’m gonna buy it today. I like that it has support across iOS and Mac.

2 Likes

would be hilarious if subtrack was a subscription app

LOL. I can’t in good conscious pay a subscription for a subscription tracking app. I just can’t