If I had to pick a yearly theme, 2020 is the year of consolidation for me. And as I reflected on this theme, I realised that I need to be more digitally minimalist, as per Cal Newport’s Digital Minimalism.
The thing is, there is just so much good digital content out there, and I’m struggling to figure out how to strategically absorb and implement the 20% (Pareto principle), and confidently say no to the other 80% without suffering from the Fear of Missing Out. After all, I’d much rather read and implement 10 books in a year, than read 50 books in a year and do nothing with the content of the books.
For example, at the moment, I have:
- Over 100 podcast subscriptions in Overcast, which I’ve been struggling to keep up with while on a two-month holiday, and I’ll certainly fall behind when I go back to work at the start of February.
- Over 1000 URLs saved in a text file that reference articles I want to read “someday” (cough cough).
- Over 100 books that I want to read, study and implement.
- A number of excellent courses (e.g. @MacSparky’s field guides for Keyboard Maestro and Shortcuts, and @mikeschmitz’s Faith-Based Productivity courses) that I want to study and implement in detail.
Consequently, what strategies or systems have people put in place to be digitally minimalist in the face of such good podcasts, courses, books, articles, and so on?
Side note: it’s amazing how a week-long family vacation with no opportunity to listen to podcasts - combined with misplacing my AirPods in the location of the vacation (thankfully found and soon to be returned) - sharpened my thinking about this.