Digital notepad that's *NOT* an iPad ...?

You can email the note to yourself in PDF.

I’ve played a lot with Rocketbook and just get annoyed with having to wipe the pages clean. It’s just never worked to how I’d hoped.

1 Like

Seems like all your problems would be solved if you set yourself a daily evening reminder to charge your iPad :grimacing:

I spent ages researching this but in the end couldn’t justify the cost. Plus for me I don’t want any barrier to moving around the Apple ecosystem and definitely don’t want my notes isolated to a device/third party software, so iPad it is.

If your pencil is draining too quickly, just pick up one of the cheap jobbies on Amazon (I use this one). Battery life is good - you turn it off when you’re not using it - and it has a 3 light system to let you know what level the charge is.

Also buy yourself a paper-like screen cover (I use this brand) and you will have hopefully scratched that itch for now…

2 Likes

Do you need OCR? If not, why isn’t regular paper and then taking photos/running a stack of paper through a scanner a pliable solution here?

1 Like

This sent me down a rabbit hole last night, I was so close to a late night Amazon purchase of a Boox Note Air to use this guys digital planner pdf with. Then I remembered the ipad pro with paper like screen protector I literally never take notes on…

Really great resource though.

1 Like

Recently snapped up a Kindle Scribe after my manager mentioned he was enjoying it more than the remarkable he bought the year before, and I agree with all of the above. The battery life is simply nuts. The Scribe is extremely limited in terms of feature set, but that has turned out to be very reason why I’ve fallen in love with it so quickly: it does what I need (quick note taking) that can be forwarded to my email for future processing. It doesn’t offer up a multitude of distracting options constantly, or multiple ways of doing the same thing that often becomes a distraction unto itself.

2 Likes

You can email individual notebooks to yourself, or did you mean exporting to other apps/devices? If it’s the latter then yes, I agree that may be a hindrance for some.

In my situation, it seems that this stuff adds just enough friction that it doesn’t get done. Not trying to make lame excuses - just trying to acknowledge reality.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure I’d hate that for a larger notebook too. I’m playing with the 3x5 cards for my wallet, which to me are self-contained and kind of like a mini whiteboard. No idea if they’ll work for what I’m hoping, but I figure it’s worth trying the FriXion pen if nothing else. :slight_smile:

Now if Amazon can just bring one out the size of the Paperwhite (A5), I’m in! :grinning:

The Kobo Sage is closer to the size of the Paperwhite, and does the handwriting thing.

But I’m confused - everything I’m seeing says the Scribe IS A5, screen-wise. Are you talking about the whole device being A5?

1 Like

Ah, ok, well, I just saw 10.2" so assumed … but I’ve just looked at the video on Amazon and yes, it could be the size I’m after. Thanks for pulling me up on my assumption!

This is bad now… I mean, I have to buy it now, don’t I? :joy:

And it gets worse, I can have to tomorrow … :open_mouth:

Screenshot 2022-12-14 at 5.52.00 am

10.11 inches is the diagonal for A5. It’s about 6" or so wide by about 8" tall. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah I looked it up as well to get the diagonal. Not a bad size. My credit card is in tatters … :rofl:

(it’s all self inflicted though, so …:man_shrugging:)

I recently asked something similar. If discussion is good it may help you.

But, if you compare the text you have written, with the text that the System has sent to you via Mail it is not the same.
It would terrible annoy me, if I have to check every text I have written carefully, to make sure, that the OCR is not changing something (important?), because it is not really able to interpret my Handwriting.
And if you do not double check, there might be high chances, that what you store, might not be what you wrote.

So did you go for anything in the end?

I went a few different ways, none of which directly address my original question, but all of which handle different aspects of it.

• Notetaking - I decided to go analog for notes, with a RocketBook. $30-ish, and their software lets me photo and email the page super-quick. Their OCR is decent, but I attach the image anyway “just in case”.
  • E-reading - I actually got a inkPad Lite e-ink reading device, as reading on e-ink was one of the things I was hoping to get from one of these other tablet devices. $200-ish.
  • iPad Battery Issue - I have this dialed in as well. I turned off a number of things that The Internet claims drain battery, and I have a number of shortcut automations that kick the iPad into low-power mode when it hits various battery thresholds. That means if it’s just sitting in a bag, it’ll be fine for close to a week. That makes it much more usable.
3 Likes

I’ve read through their site a bit and I’m curious about it, and can’t really tell from what I’ve read. Does the notebook or pen have anything electronic in them? Also, what’s the difference between RocketBook vs writing in a notebook and scanning with something like ScannerPro (or phone-scanning software of choice)?

Looks really cool!

Rocketbook also fits this for me. iPad, iPad mini…but when neither fit the moment, Rocketbook is fine.

No electronics. It’s a notebook with somewhat plasticy (eraseable) pages with icons at the bottom. You can program the app to interpret a selection of the different icons as a specific action. E.g. send to a specific notebook in Evernote, or email to a certain address, etc. Not terribly different from using regular paper and scanning except that the notebooks have pages with different layouts (lines, dots, meeting notes, to do,day planner, etc.) and you can automate where they go when you scan them.

I’ve also cut out the “frame” from a page of my Rocketbook and use it to scan Moleskine notebook pages with the same effect.

1 Like