Disabling the macOS HUD

Does anyone know how to disable the HUD, for example when my MacBook drops the connection to a keyboard?

I will take my MacBook into meetings to present and because it’s away from my desk it can find and lose the connection throughout the presentation. I usually have to manually turn off Bluetooth to prevent this happening, but I would prefer to disable the HUD entirely.

What is HUD? Heads up display? Please define acronyms.
This must be an obscure one.

Results from www.acronymfinder.com:

Department of Housing and Urban Development
Hudson (Amtrak station code; Hudson, NY)
Head-Up Display (aka Heads-Up Display)
How You Doing
Humanitarian Use Device (US FDA)
Hope You Die (probably a nasty social media thing)
Hongkong United Dockyards (est. 1973; marine engineering)
Hospital Unit Dose
Hold-Up Depth (interesting - from the oil drilling industry, the depth at which a tool or drift of a specific size can no longer pass through the wellbore)

1 Like

parsimony

• n. Adoption of the simplest assumption in the formulation of a theory or in the interpretation of data, especially in accordance with the rule of Ockham’s razor.

@JohnAtl, Sorry, I was not trying to be snarky. My first guess was heads-up-display (as stated), but I didn’t see how that applied here. Is he referring to the built-in MacBook display screen, or a projector? Apparently this was related to losing the bluetooth connection, maybe? I’m just tying to learn something here because I may want to use a projector at some point.

Yes, there’s an image (not even really a window) that pops up on the screen saying a device has connected or disconnected. So far I don’t see any mention of a way to disable those images.

So far the best solution might be for him to turn the keyboard off before leaving his desk.

1 Like

I just did a little experiment with Keynote. It looks like the message only appears on the internal display. Are you using mirrored mode, or do you have the presenter display on your internal, and the slide show on your external?
Perhaps changing to presenter mode, rather than mirrored, would solve the problem.
(and allow you to see elapsed time, presenter notes, etc.)

@JohnAtl, thank you! I have seen those pop-ups but didn’t know they were “HUDs”.
Makes sense now. :grinning:

1 Like

Yes, by HUD I meant to Heads Up Display. I’ve found references to this as the HUD but nothing which says how to remove it.

Also, my presentation mode is screen mirroring rather than strict presenter mode. Working through a spreadsheet, or web-based PM (excuse me, project management) system.

I’m assuming there’s a Terminal command somewhere which will disable this?

If you can’t find a solution, you can always use the projector as a separate screen and drag spreadsheets, etc. over when you want to show them.

Okay, this might work.

Caveat emptor, you could break things

Disable System Integrity Protection

• Boot into Recovery mode
    • i.e. restart your computer and hold down the Command+R (⌘+R) keys
  • run Terminal
  • execute this command
csrutil disable
  • reboot normally

Disable the HUD display

Run Terminal, then run this command

launchctl unload -wF /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.OSDUIHelper.plist

Re-enable System Integrity Protection

• Boot into Recovery mode
  • run Terminal
  • execute this command
csrutil enable
  • reboot normally
  1. https://support.intego.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003523252-How-to-Disable-System-Integrity-Protection-SIP-
  2. https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/16849/how-do-i-disable-the-volume-control-overlay

If that’s my only option, then I’ll pass. But thanks very much for putting that together

1 Like

A solution was rather obvious and a very MPU style fix.

I’ve adjusted my ControlPlane settings to Toggle Bluetooth ON/OFF when connected to my desktop Time Machine drive or my monitor.

I added an additional rule to Toggle ON when it connects to my Home network.

1 Like