Discourse replies

More than half the time when I reply to another user, it does not register as a reply to that person (with their avatar).

I click the reply button next to their message (not the one at the bottom of the page). While I’m composing the reply, I see the avatar on the screen above what I’m typing. But then, when I click the submit button, my post goes up with no indication that it is a reply to a specific person. I’ve had the same thing happen at least a dozen times already. I’m using Chrome on a Mac most of the time.

3 Likes

Was tempted to pop up a post on the exact same issue! Glad it’s not just me.

Easily half of my replies, on iOS or macOS, sees me having to go back and edit the reply, to add the user with @davemacdo!

Like I’ve just had to do here! :sunglasses:

1 Like

It’s a little confusing, but the indicator only appears when you’re replying to someone other than the previous poster.

I have noted the same issue - I feel like it happens more often on mobile than desktop?

And then it goes ahead and works on mobile. Lol. :man_shrugging:

It varies this side. Which is why I cannot seem to work out what I need to be doing!

Edit: I give up. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

So I actually found out the answer…

It turns out it is a ‘setting’ in Discourse itself (a design/interface setting) - it has to do with when you are replying to someone directly ‘below’ where your reply goes. If you are directly below them it hides the ‘reply’ notation. If they are a post or more away it shows it though.

There is an option in settings to turn this interface design on/off if @MacSparky or @katiefloyd want. I personally agree in that it is nice to see who the reply was too regardless of where it lands - but I’m sure there is a reason Discourse has it disabled by default…

1 Like

Well - nothing is technically broken - just a design interface decision, etc.