Disk Utility error (fsroot tree is invalid.)

I was listening to the MPU podcast recently and thought I’d heed David and Katie’s advice on checking on the disk every now and then to see that it is in good health. Much to my disappointment the results show a handful of errors. I can’t decipher them properly and so am pasting both logs here. I ran the test only as a precautionary measure and my Mac seems to run fine as of now.

A couple of things to note; the scans, especially the one run from Recovery Mode, only took a few seconds. I ran these scans soon after turning FileVault off (after the descryption process had completely ended). I wonder if the error: invalid dstream.default_crypto_id (0x4), given apfs_fs_flags (0x1) has anything to do with this.

Should I be worried about these errors, in that do they portend an impending disaster? If so, what do you guys recommend I do? Thanks!

I am using a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) running macOS High Sierra (10.13.5)

Recovery Mode
Repairing file system.
Volume was successfully unmounted.
Performing fsck_apfs -y -x /dev/rdisk2s1
Checking volume.
Checking the container superblock.
Checking the EFI jumpstart record.
Checking the space manager.
Checking the object map.
Checking the APFS volume superblock.
Checking the object map.
Checking the fsroot tree.
error: invalid dstream.default_crypto_id (0x4), given apfs_fs_flags (0x1)
error: xf : INO_EXT_TYPE_DSTREAM : invalid dstream
error: inode_val: object (oid 0x80aca): invalid xfields
fsroot tree is invalid.
The volume /dev/rdisk2s1 could not be verified completely.
File system check exit code is 0.
Restoring the original state found as mounted.
Operation successful.

Regular (run from within the OS)
Verifying file system.
Volume could not be unmounted.
Using live mode.
Performing fsck_apfs -n -l -x /dev/rdisk1s1
Checking volume.
Checking the container superblock.
Checking the EFI jumpstart record.
Checking the space manager.
Checking the object map.
Checking the APFS volume superblock.
Checking the object map.
Checking the fsroot tree.
error: invalid dstream.default_crypto_id (0x4), given apfs_fs_flags (0x1)
error: xf : INO_EXT_TYPE_DSTREAM : invalid dstream
error: inode_val: object (oid 0x80aca): invalid xfields
fsroot tree is invalid.
The volume /dev/rdisk1s1 could not be verified completely.
File system check exit code is 0.
Restoring the original state found as mounted.
Operation successful.

Others have had this problem. There are several queries on the Apple Discussions that raise this. Here is a recent one:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8368857

There is an older query about a similar problem that was solved by reinstalling the system from Time Machine:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8095418

You might flash your NVRAM and PRAM first and see if that clears it up:

You could repair permissions, too.

Good luck!

Thanks for that comprehensive and helpful response, @Quahog. I tried resetting NVRAM and PRAM and repairing permissions but it didn’t resolve the issue.

I went through the posts on Apple Discussions but there doesn’t seem to be a consensus. Unfortunately there aren’t any Apple Stores/Genius Bars in my country and it looks like I might have to nuke and pave as a last resort :frowning:

I’ve reached out to DiskWarrior and am waiting to hear back from them about whether that software can help. Not sure as APFS support seems to be limited. Fingers crossed though and thanks again!

UPDATE: Apparently DiskWarrior can’t help as it “does not repair an APFS formatted drive.” Waiting for 10.13.6 in the off chance that it fixes the issue, otherwise it’s going to be a nuke and pave! :man_factory_worker: :bomb:

1 Like