Do you blog? I want to read it

I write, and review some products and do a bit of video at curtismchale.ca.

Mine is here: http://kevinrothermel.com

I write about creativity and culture and media and branding and sometimes tech and sometimes things about the school where I teach.

This is a good reminder to get writing again. Just saw that my last post was in September…

1 Like

:wave: @KevinR! Good to see you here.

1 Like

Likewise. One of my favorite internet haunts. I’m just happy that the good people here tolerate me.

1 Like

Random stuff, occasionally including tech: GlobaLocal — I’ll probably move this one over to micro.blog soon.
International trade with a focus on opportunities for independent businesses: Eurobubba
Both pretty infrequent.

I frequently write for the web, sometimes more in book form than in blogs. ReasonToRock.com and SoftDevBigIdeas.com are more of online books. Most of my current writing goes up at Practopian.org.

Thanks for asking! And for all the other replies!

Career stuff for cubicle dwellers — https://cuberules.com

My blog is at http://www.polding.eu

I usually publish things for my students to read and when I am preparing research.

dustinknopoff.dev haven’t really figured out what I want this to be and I don’t think I have the best writing style. But, I support dark mode! So that’s something :upside_down_face:?

1 Like

I know there are some kind of ‘hosted’ OPML files which Inoreader will check for updates every once in a while as well. (But that makes it not tied to any one RSS reader which I like).

I love your headers on fulcra.design!

1 Like

Hey, thanks. Many hours spent tweaking back and forth, hah.

As for your comment above about not knowing what the blog’s for/not liking your writing style: that’s the point, I think!

I’m trying to write more just so I have more practice and to build some kind of momentum. I’ve spent years trying to make decisions about what I want to be known for without actually publishing much of anything. Recently I’ve realized that my direction will come from the writing practice, not the other way around. We’ll see!

1 Like

Wow, blot looks amazing. Have you run into any issues or concerns? Any sesnse of their business model?

Some ideas about how to grow your business without stress or overwhelm for people who feel that they’re spinning plates 24x7x365. https://www.chrisbeaumont.co.uk/ideas

In short, no issues, and the business side of it is as awesome as the rest of it. David Merfield’s been running blot.im since 2014, I think. The About page is really informative and transparent. It even includes a list of similar alternatives (including which ones have since stopped functioning).

I particularly like the answer to the question “How long do you plan to run Blot?”:

Decades, at least.

He publishes a constantly updated list of the tasks he’s working on (and who requested them, if you consent to being listed!), what he’s recently done, and some discussion on development.

Last, David’s reputation for thorough, fast responses seems to be kinda famous. I’ve asked 5-6 questions since I started on it a few weeks ago and haven’t had to wait less than a day or two for a response—he usually replies in hours, somehow. See this Hacker News discussion for further evidence.

Also, the whole thing is open source and you can roll Blot on your own server if you want.

I don’t mind being a cheerleader for this thing. As I said directly to David in an email, the whole thing’s a role model for how products should be built and run. I’m excited!

3 Likes

I’m a cognitive scientist, entrepreneur, adjunct professor, and author. I focus on cognitive productivity with macOS (cf. books) and integrative design-oriented models of mind.

Hook perhaps represents the most significant discontinuity in personal information management in desktop computing since Spotlight (equal in importance to folders, actually), focused on cognitive productivity. It’s the first app that enables users to instantly re-access the contextually relevant information they need to get the job done right, now. It’s based on an analysis of knowledge work that suggests that most knowledge intense work revolves around disjoint clusters (networks) of related but diverse information (diverse: on web, in the cloud, in files, in apps; and of different types, e.g., email, OmniFocus tasks, PDFs, etc.). Imagine the web without links. Would be pretty bad, eh? Well, a Mac without link is what you have without Hook.

MPU doesn’t seem to have noticed the above. Will Forbes Magazine get there first, as it did for mySleepButton?? :slight_smile: Regardless, I’ll be writing more frequently about Hook on the Hook blog and elsewhere.

1 Like

Oh hey, I encountered Hook before. I love the idea of it but spend too much time on iOS. Anything in the works to bridge that gap? :grin:

More on point with this thread, though—I’m often surprised by the gap between cognitive science and this productivity world. (The same is true for information systems, I think.) I can’t blame non-researchers—it’s hard to know what you don’t know. But more of us need to be publishing and creating tools like you are in order to make sure the research has impact.

So, kudos!

2 Likes

Thanks, Ryan!

We are indeed working on some iOS bridges. It’s a multi-pronged approach. We’ll say more on the blog and Hook productivity forum.

I agree. I certainly wouldn’t blame anyone. There is so much to read. And the fact is that cognitive science does not focus on productivity.

The Cognitive Productivity books are the first systematic attempt to develop a concept of productivity that is grounded in cognitive science. In the first Cognitive Productivity book, I used the expression “broad cognitive science”. Earlier this week, I published a draft manifesto for integrative design-oriented (a blog post on it here). “Integrative design-oriented” (IDO) is a more apt expression. I’m hoping the IDO concept will get significant traction in cognitive science and AI. The recent (very important) book, Rebooting AI addresses a subset of what the manifesto’s about.

Thanks again for the words of encouragement.

1 Like

I figured I needed to actually write something on my site before I actually claimed that it was somewhere I actually write :slight_smile:

You can find my site at RhymesWithDiploma.com (or luo.ma if you prefer the shorter version).

And look! An actual post!

2 Likes

Too many to list them all, but my main blogs are:

which is my dev blog and,

which is random, indeiweb stuff.