Does anyone here have an Apple XDR PRO display?

Think about it this way: They give you a $800 discount for going with the VESA mount option ($199 VESA adapter - $999 Pro Stand).

3 Likes

This was not my intention. Honestly, I am trying to justify it for myself to get one and was hoping to get views of non-pros who own this monitor.

I do not see them as shaming their purchase. This post is to get their views. People can buy expensive things and regret it and people can also get expensive things and feel it’s worth it. Only those who have purchased are able to confirm how they feel about it.

If this post is inappropriate, happy for the mods to take appropriate action.

Curious @mina do you have one?

1 Like

Makes me wonder about my $5,000 computer that is now hanging on this $35 monitor arm…

5 Likes

All good. As for buying it for yourself, that really depends on your use case. What do you usually do and work on? If this is not a business purchase, I’d say you’d probably regret it. However if it’s business, and you need 32” monitor, this is the only monitor in the market that is worth your money. I was in the market to purchase a monitor early this year, and there is no other monitor that is good enough is this size. I still love to buy one.

1 Like

Let’s put it this way, My productivity will not increase one bit if I replaced my current lg ultrafine with the pro XDR display.

It looks cool and that’s why my heart wants it lol

It’s not a business purchase and I know in my right frame of mind, I will not get it.

1 Like

That’s the one you use to do real science. I told you before this is the kind of stuff that is worth multiples of this number.

1 Like

Let me put it this way, it’s way bigger than the ultra fine even for 27”; so productivity increase is hard to measure, because there will be some benefits.

If you can afford it, get it, it’s the most beautiful display in the market, the pixel density and contrast far exceeds the Ultrafine.

Imagine, you bought the XDR PRO and 13 months later, this happens:

As Jason Snell proved with his iMac, spiders under the display are, in fact, covered by Apple Care+.

I am not a Pro Display XDR owner (I wish) but definitely see why non photography/cinematography professionals are still buying it despite its ludicrous price tag.

All good points made in the thread, it’s the only Apple-made display and the only display on the market with such a high pixel density and built to Apple standards so… many people are left with no choice.

And while monitors do usually outlive the computers, the iPad Pro and MacBook Pro’s displays kinda just beat the XDR in a laptop/tablet. Which means an upgrade to the XDR or a “better” standalone display is likely coming soon. Must feel great to be an XDR owner now :upside_down_face:

i am hopeful that next year, Apple gives us a consumer friendly apple display…

2 Likes

I’ve never been so tempted and not tempted at the same time by an Apple product.

Im hoping they do release something about half the cost, but 80% of the monitor in early 2022.

Or you could go for the Dell 8K display for $4009.99 (stand included).

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-ultrasharp-32-8k-monitor-up3218k/apd/210-alez/monitors-monitor-accessories

@MereCivilian If I had an XDR, it would definitely not bother me that it cost more than the computer it was connected to (although with the price of my not-yet-shipped new MBPro, it’s a close call). In photography, for example, one might put a 10-15K lens on a 3-6K camera body. Possibly a similar situation.

In any case, I would suspect that if money were not an issue, every one of us would be a potential XDR owner! I have certainly been considering it, but at least right now it’s not the best use of my money, even if I would love to have one. Someday…

2 Likes

Maybe the next gen will be OLED, and eliminate the backlighting challenges.

Does the Dell 8K monitor even work with the new macbook pros?

Seems to be a bunch of threads around from people with the 2019 16" MBP trying-and-failing to make it work.

Wait, can I put my $400 LG display on the XDR mount…?

1 Like

No idea. I’m just talking outside my areas of expertise, as per usual :slight_smile:

I would take them at their word for the time being:

Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at 1 billion colors and:

Up to two external displays with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colors (M1 Pro) or
Up to three external displays with up to 6K resolution and one external display with up to 4K resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colors (M1 Max)

So while they talked about editing 8K video in the pitch, I guess they never said you could view 8K video.

Perhaps an OS update will fix that. Surely with 32 GPU cores in the Max, they can squeak out 8K.

If I remember correctly, this computer has a maximum output of 6K, it was able to drive XDR maximum.

I would agree to @JohnAtl here

Just a word of caution here; this monitor is old (since 2018), and they do not list the contrast ratio, but I believe it’s not as good as the XDR.