Does anyone still print to Postscript?

I remember the days when Postscript was the ultimate way of printing (I used to use the LaTeX .dvi format for viewing and then printing to PS)

This print dialog popup menu caught my attention today. Does anyone use Postscript any more? What are the use cases?

I do have a laser printer, who is, for a reason I did not figured out know for 4 years, not printing every 3rd or 4th PDF I sent him.
I bought a second printer, to solve the problem so far, but before that, I was able to force the print by using PostScript instead.

PostScript is still the easiest way to make a networked printer work with any OS. [quote=“Ulli, post:2, topic:29765, full:true”]
I do have a laser printer, who is, for a reason I did not figured out know for 4 years, not printing every 3rd or 4th PDF I sent him…
[/quote]
I have a laser that goes crazy every 3rd or 4th print and gives me gibberish. When using the “printer driver for that model”. Now I have it on the network as “Generic PostScript printer” and…zero issues.

PostScript is still the best route if you want a network printer to work with any OS from the last 40 and probably the next 40 years.

But then you would print through a Postscript-enabled printer driver, right? Why would anyone want to download a .ps file?

To send to a printer (not the device, a company)? Has been largely replaced by PDF (which is based/influenced by PS). But I can’t even recall the last time I used a PS file.

I’ve programmatically generated PostScript files within the past ten years, before I retired, and had done so at least as far back as the late 1980s. There were two reasons – I could print directly to the printer (which “speaks” PostScript) without needing some intervening program, and PostScript is a fine language for generating graphs and charts from dynamically changing data.

This ability had me using Apple laser printers back in the day, when I didn’t have a Mac to use until many years later.

3 Likes

I guess it’s mostly still around out of inertia. The library function is available, it works perfectly, so why not offer a menu option for anyone who might still need it? Keeping it in is also avoiding any press outlets covering the inevtiable “Postscript Gate” that would follow its removal :slight_smile:

There are probably good use cases still that I am simply not aware of as well.

It’s still used for printing to high-end commercial printers.

2 Likes