Does anyone use ScanSnap Home software?

I went into the ScanSnap site today to see if there was an update for Mojave for my ScanSnap Manager software and discovered ‘ScanSnap Home’ with a recent release date of Oct 12th. There was a warning that by installing Home the ScanSnap Manager (which I currently use) would be uninstalled.

Does anyone use the Home software for their scanners and is it a good alternative to Manager? Many thanks.

1 Like

I am in the same boat as you are. I have not tried it yet.

Some MPUs already seem to have jumped onto the new software and have not complained. It might be a good sign, I guess?!

You can find the discussion over here:

1 Like

Thanks Christian. Will have a read.

I wanted to post here rather than that iX1500 thread since I have an iX500, just upgraded to Mojave, and tried to upgrade from ScanSnap Manager (which still works!) to ScanSnap Home. I had previously tried the combination booting from an external drive that has Mojave and that was successful.

BUT when I went to install ScanSnap Home again it said I had to have a license (didn’t do so before) and once I signed up said that all 5 of my licenses were used. This forced me to 1) send off an e-mail to Fujitsu and 2) remove ScanSnap Home and reinstall ScanSnap Manager.

1 Like

Fast reply from Fujitsu. There is only one license when you upgrade to ScanSnap Home. If you want to move the iX500 between multiple computers you are out of luck.

Truly stunning.

Here is what I have gathered from this and other Fujitsu-related threads in this forum as well as from the Fujitsu website:

1. The iX500 is a current model in the Fujitsu ScanSnap lineup.
  2. The “old” software, ScanSnap Manager, is 32-bit. Apple announced long ago that 32-bit software will not work with future versions of macOS. Installing this software on the current macOS 10.13 already generates a warning.
  3. The “new” Fujitsu software, ScanSnap Home, is 64-bit. Apparently this will be required for the scanner to function in macOS in the near future.
  4. When Fujitsu ScanSnap iX500 owners “upgrade” to the soon-to-be-required 64-bit software, there will be only one license for the software. Already established by @tomalmy is that the scanner cannot be moved between multiple computers. Your current-model iX500 will soon have obsolete software, and the required “upgrade”
    will severely limit, even cripple, your scanner.
  5. Not yet addressed are related concerns:
    a. How does one obtain a new “license” to operate the scanner on a new computer?
    b. What happens when you want to sell the scanner or give it to a friend/relative?
    c. If there is a process for transferring the license to another user or another computer, how time-consuming
    or onerous is that process?
    d. This is speculation, but supported by certain observations: Why are owners of older, but operationally
    similar scanners, being disregarded? The S1500M, for example, works perfectly well using 32-bit
    software (ScanSnap Manager) for the current models iX500 and S1300i. Why is the S1500M not
    included for operation with the new 64-bit software, since the scanner is hardware-wise and
    operationally similar to the currently-available models? Is the exclusion done due to software
    development cost, or is this simply a case of disregarding the S1500M owners so that purchase
    of a new scanner is required?

I will reserve final judgement pending more information, but for now I will plan to purchase a different brand of scanner - perhaps Brother or Epson. If my understanding is correct, the current situation with Fujitsu is not acceptable. Hopefully others in this forum will be able to provide more information.

Thanks to @tomalmy for the posts.

2 Likes

Keep in mind that ScanSnap manager still works in Mojave. So there is still a year in which to complain before you are stuck with the ScanSnap Home.

I can address 5.a, b, and c.

5.a. and b. You “sign out” on the old computer first. If you don’t you can file a ticket with Fujitsu support and they will reset it for you. Note that there is no provision for borrowing the scanner – you may be restricted from signing back in on the original computer.

9932A69E-B77F-4CD8-8FFD-B0B12EDB6617
5.c. Easy – see above. Attaching the license to the new computer is automatic – you don’t even realize there is a license until you try to add a second computer.

If you want to be able to sign in on multiple computers you would need to buy a license, but there doesn’t seem to be a way to do so for the iX500, just the iX1500 (which comes with a 5 computer license).

I agree. I am looking at a replacement unit for my ScanSnap S1300. The ADF [Auto Document Feeder] switch does not know when the last page goes thru. I need to tap the cover to release the switch. I do not need a $450+ unit. As of now, I scan about 3-5 pages per week. I purchased my S1300 in June 2012. I attempted to check the page count but … the software would not load due to I am running High Sierra version 10.13.6.

I thinking the unit [S1300] may need to be retired. So I am checking Canon, Epson, and Brother units. Maybe another Fujitsu unit, but I need the scanner to be accessed by all hardware.

Interesting discussion, thanks both. As ScanSnapManager is working OK on Mojave at the moment I think I will hold off on any upgrade to Home for the time being. There does not seem to be any big advantage and possibly licence hassle which i could do without!

Is the new ScanSnap Home better than ScanSnap Manager? I have a ton of ScnaSnap apps on my MBP that I have no clue as to what they do.

I had to fresh install my mac and was directed by Fujitsu’s support site to the Scansnap Home software. I’m digging around here for solutions, since it is not obvious where my documents are being stored, whether they are OCR’d, and how to get specific profiles to save directly to Dropbox

Simply put: the Home app is messing up all my workflows without obvious solutions. I’ll have to tinker to see what I can do.

I would hold off upgrading until you MUST if you have extensive workflows already built to incorporate your scans.

Quick Scansnap Home Lesson. From the Scan window press the button outlined:
9B16CA36-7F17-4B53-BA32-B64073AF804F
From here you can adjust everything for the profile. The button (above) with the + sign in the circle lets you create new profiles. Anyway:
35C9252B-EB64-4F57-9DE7-48F52F0DADD9

The top row selects the profile to edit. Document type detection either lets it guess or you can specify a specific type (document, business card, receipt, or photo). If it is automatic the scan settings will have tabs for all four types, otherwise there will be settings only for the selected type.

You can make basic changes to the settings here, or press Detailed settings:

8BC36204-794D-4ADE-8AB2-D0BB07F67F6E

from here you can set how the title is set, select the file format (including enabling OCR – “Convert to Searchable PDF”) adjust all the scanning features and the file size. Basically everything you could do with ScanSnap manager.

Back on the previous window, under the Scan settings, you can select a tag to add (I guess for the ScanSnap Home file manager), Feed settings (feed the entire document at a time or wait for more pages), the destination folder and “Application”. They provide three choices, “None” where the scanning gives no feedback, “Verify and save” which puts up a window just like ScanSnap Manager did showing the document and letting you select a different destination and name, “Scan to E-Mail”, and the ability to add any application that can accept a document (ScanSnap Manager did the same).

In my case, a few changes to the “Auto Scan” did everything I needed and now I don’t have to worry that I have selected the right scan type (in my case Receipt or Document) prior to hitting the scan button.

2 Likes

I guess I’m “fortunate” that my old workhorse 2011 MBP won’t run Mojave (or, presumably, next year’s macOS), hence won’t ever require 64-bit software. I suppose Fujitsu is hoping to squeeze revenue out of business teams and families who want to share a scanner by forcing them to buy multiple software licenses. Dick move.

3 Likes

See https://www.fujitsu.com/global/support/products/computing/peripheral/scanners/scansnap/faq/ssh-inst02.html regarding the licensing issue. I haven’t updated yet but it seems that this is a login issue and not really limited to one license.

@StephenL - Technically correct, thank you, but the entire sign-in/account creation/license requirement is a needless complication for most of us, or at least many of us. We just want our bought-and-paid-for scanners to scan documents into a computer - or multiple computers - without a the hassle of another cloud account, sign-in, licenses, etc.

Someone please remind me exactly what was the problem that the new ScanSnap Home was supposed to solve? Oh right - the 64-bit requirement. Unfortunately Fujitsu has gone far beyond that and has now created other problems for formerly satisfied users. @Eurobubba is correct - Fujitsu’s changes leave the impression of a revenue squeeze.

User @Brisbane in another thread on this forum kindly provided a weblink to VueScan software that provides drivers for thousands of scanners, including the ScanSnap scanners that have been “obsoleted” by Fujitsu. Here is link to VueScan, provided by @Brisbane: https://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/fujitsu.html#scanner-drivers

Link to the MPU forum thread in which the VueScan driver is mentioned: https://talk.macpowerusers.com/t/64-bit-fujitsu-scansnap-app-finally-out/9769/19

Being lazy here - I have an (old) S1300i in my office & deciding what to do for my mobile office- be interested to know what folks experience is with non Fujitsu scanners…
(I say mobile - it doesn’t have to be amazingly portable & I was going to do same again to get duplex…)
TIA

2 Likes

I’ve seen that page before, and it didn’t help me at all. I had Mojave beta on an external drive and installed ScanSnap Home on that. When I went to upgrade the same computer to Mojave, ScanSnap Home would not install and gave that message. I contacted Fujitsu and they said I had to “uninistall” on the external to install and license on the internal drive. For those thinking of moving between systems by just doing uninstalls and reinstalls, it won’t work because they only allow a limited number of system changes.

The problem would be fixed if they just sold extra licenses for these models.

Do you have to create an account to use the new ScanSnap Home?

When I tried it, I was able to scan without creating an account, but I’ve only tried it for a short time. If you could scan without creating an account, would that allow the hardware to be used on more than one Mac?

1 Like

This new software is awful, I changed Macs and downloaded it. Not at all intuitive. Does anyone know of an alternative ? I am also having trouble locating and installing the original Scanmanager.

3 Likes

Here is a link to the “old” ScanSnap Manager:
http://www.fujitsu.com/global/support/products/computing/peripheral/scanners/scansnap/faq/hsierra004.html
There is no telling how long this will be available. It would be wise to download the appropriate files right away, then keep backups.
Follow the instructions in the “Workaround” section. Short version: download and install the .dmg file for V6.3L50. Then same for the update V6.3L61, then update for V6.3L70. You can ignore the language files if you don’t need them.
You did not specify which version of ScanSnap you have. It is my understanding that this version will work for several models, including the “obsolete” S1500M and other non-obsolete and obsolete models.
If you are using macOS Mojave, you might see a warning about incompatible software since the software is 32-bit. Ignore the warning, just plow on through. Apple has declared that future versions of macOS will not support 32-bit software.

Re: alternative software, VueScan and Exact Scan have been mentioned in this forum. There have been so many Fujitsu-related threads that I can’t remember where these were mentioned - just do a search. Both appear to be quality software.

Hope this helps. We Fujitsu orphans - oops, owners need a support group.

Edited: Just found the link to Vue Scan: https://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/fujitsu.html
And Exact Scan: http://exactscan.com