Does anyone use ScanSnap Home software?

Hi - I figured out that to scan multiple pages to one PDF, the profile must be a Document profile (instead of Receipt profile) to offer that option when PDF is selected. Thanks for all the tips!

1 Like

Existing S1500 home user here. I was looking for a solution to solve the seemingly perpetual “where’s that receipt” issue for one thing or another. Specifically a solution that did not involve a phone, lots of tagging, scanning to the cloud, paying for cloud storage, upload fees, potentially losing all data should there be an account hickup or the company goes belly up.
Found out there is a Receipts program for ScanSnap owners.
Thought cool, just what I need.
Until I tried to download it. Only the owners of the newest systems are allowed to download use it?!

Contacted support to see if there was an oversight and any leeway.
No, support says that I need to buy a new scanner.
Ok, so as a home owner I’m forced to spend $500-$1000 to buy another scanner, duplicating what I already have … in order to use a program that is free with purchase?
And what if were to actually afford an extra scanner and then find out the receipts program does not do what I need it to do or is has some shortcoming making it futile for me. I can’t even trial the program.

Did all S1500 and whichever other models they chose to EOL owners not support the company?
Is this is how Fujitsu thanks their existing customers, who have promoted their products to friends, family, colleagues, clients etc?

And, now skimming through the above post and replies; the manager software can be single seat only with mandatory internet connection / phoning home? What are they thinking?!

2 Likes

I am having a love hate relationship with ScanSnap Home. It seems to be easier for basic Scanning but having fewer options to tweak the setting.

Has anyone figured out a way yet to create a new PDF every x number of pages.

Also is it just me or is the scan quality not quite as good as with ScanSnap Manager? I am using an ix500/

Correction - found the option to create a new PDF every x sheets.

It is in the Detailed Settings > File Format and then Option button brings up a new window.

I am using it - since I have no choice in a fresh install. I find that it works great once you figure out how to create your own profiles. I have eight profiles and I love this feature because I simply click the profile before scanning and - like magic - all of the scans go into the correct parent folder and are named with my DEFAULT naming convention.

Problems/Bugs:

1. File names are limited in length - this breaks my accounting naming convention.
    • Scansnap Home seems to think that I want to lock my clients into THEIR databasing system - they are wrong. My naming convention allows my scanned documents to be located regardless of the software I use for scanning, accounting etc. i.e.:
      [my number] - [date] - [vendor/client] - [their number] - [amount]
      I can find my files using any basic directory search tool and when I change accounting/scanning tools, I have not just lost my entire database indexing scheme.
  2. File names not always saved.
    • Occasionally (maybe ten times per day) I will enter all of the file name data only to discover that it won’t “take”. The file sits there unresponsively for a while until finally it simply reverts to the default file name. So I have to redo my data.
  3. Too easy to accidentally overwrite file names.
    • You can easily start renaming a file - by accident. I want this to be a bit more secure… like click on the “rename file” icon or something.
  4. Licensing is evil.
    • What do you MEAN I can only use my iX500 on ONE COMPUTER!?
    • THIS… THIS is how you lose your customer base.

Overall, I like the new software. I just hope Fujitsu fixes these limitations that they are placing on my workflow.

1 Like

Agree totally.

Does anyone know how Fujitsu’s sales are doing with this new software and licensing policies?
I have not heard any Fujitsu ScanSnap ads on the MPU podcasts recently. Is this related to the substantial negative feedback from MPU Podcast listeners?

I believe I was the first to report here on the licensing issues, and I can’t imagine anyone siding with Fujitsu on this. Multiple profiles and the new Auto profile make ScanSnap Home much more versatile than the older program. The integration with its own database might be useful for some but doesn’t fit into most peoples existing workflows.

As far as your first three problems/bugs, at least with my workflow I’ve never noticed these issues. I rely on Hazel looking into the scanned/OCRed documents to rename and move into their final location. Occasionally ScanSnap Home seems to fail to attach meta information to the file causing Hazel not to recognize them as searchable PDF documents. If I just open and then close the document in Preview then Hazel sees them.

Why not use Hazel to rename the files and put them where you want them after being given an initial short name at scanning?

As an alternative or adjunct to Hazel, the Keyboard Maestro app offers a limited only by your imagination number of ways to name and move files and much more. For simple actions the learning curve for a savvy computer user is light and to take advantage of all it offers takes a programmer’s deep understanding. There is a forum with super knowledgable folks who are hugely supportive and will gladly assist with anything you might like or need to create.

Hey tomalmy, can you confirm that tags in SSH are for organizing within SSH and that we can NOT attach a Finder tag to a profile?

Thanks, I poked around awhile, can’t find confirmation, don’t see the tags I’m assigning in SSH attached to the documents in the Finder and am checking that I didn’t miss something.

Thanks again!

If you don’t see the tags in finder, that would confirm it. I don’t use SSH as a database. All files are move out to their desired destinations via Hazel rules, and Hazel tags them (compatible with Finder).

I’ve installed ScanSnap Home and I want to like it, but it’s super buggy. It crashes probably one out of three times I scan something. I’m ready to ditch it but I’m not sure how to use my scanner without triggering the SSH software. I’m sure it must be obvious, but I’m sort of stuck.

@davidrepmo I wonder why it is so buggy for you. I have found that recently it has settled down pretty well and never crashes on me these days. With the little menu bar app as well I am even starting to like it!

Presumably you have the latest version etc etc?

I just double-checked, and yeah, I do have the latest version. I’m using it in conjunction with DEVONthink 3, which is in beta – but I don’t think that’s probably the issue, because it’s crashing early in a scan, before the software has even opened up any DT3 sharing options. Not every time, but maybe every third or fourth time. And when it happens, I have to unplug the scanner and plug it back in, because there’s no power button on my model.

All,
A new version of ScanSnap Home has just been released (v1.3).
Release notes are:

• A new function has been added to import or export a content data record.
  • Modified to support version 12 of the ScanSnap SDK interface.
  • Modified some profile names that appear as templates when you add a new profile.
  • New default profiles [Scan to Folder] and [Scan to Email] have been added which are created when you connect the ScanSnap for the first time.
  • Improved the operability when you edit, add, copy, or delete profiles in the scan window or the edit profiles window.
  • A modification has been made for the scanner for simplex scan (ScanSnap iX100/S1100i/S1100) to include both the front and back sides of a business card as one content data record when you scan a business card with duplex set for the scan settings.
  • A new function has been added so that scanning from the ScanSnap and ScanSnap Home is not available when a link with an application created with ScanSnap SDK is established.
  • A new function has been added so that only specified profiles are displayed on the touch panel of the ScanSnap when a link with an application created with ScanSnap SDK is established. (for ScanSnap iX1500 only)
  • A modification has been made to save an image of a receipt as a single-page PDF (gray) when a link with ScanSnap Cloud is established.
  • A new option has been added to show/hide the S-mark icon on the menu bar.
  • Fixed the problem that occurs when you sort content data records of receipts by Vendor, preventing the sorted results form being sorted appropriately.
  • Fixed the problem that occurs when you modify [Name] in a content data record of a business card, and output the content data record in vCard format, preventing the content data record from being output with [Name] you modified.
  • Other miscellaneous bug fixes and improvements have been done.
1 Like

Thanks, Tim. I am hopeful this squashed the bug causing my crashes. I just scanned a few things in this morning, and it worked. It didn’t even occur to me that it usually crashes once for me, but then I saw this post and realized — no crash this morning! Fingers are crossed.

For the record, the bugs I found (and reported) to Fujitsu have not been fixed in 1.3. :weary:

Seriously…! I have also faced the problem with ScanSnap but now it’s quite good.
Thanks!

I’m confused on 2 items

1. How do you set a “default” profile so you know what it’s going to do when you press the scan button?
  2. Can you save 2 copies of a scan? I have an “Evernote” folder that Hazel watches. It imports any .pdf files it sees into Evernote, and current puts a copy into an “scanned” folder as a backup. I would be cool if ScanSnap home to keep a copy in it’s home folder and also place a copy into the Evernote folder that Hazel watches.

btw, if there is an easier way to get documents into Evernote, I’m all ears. I have a S1300i on Mac OS X 10.14 ( Mojave ).

I have the same scanner and am using Mojave.

1 - It defaults to the last used profile.
2 - I use Hazel to move a copy of the scans from the ScanSnap Home folder to another folder on my HD. This happen once a day. I keep the scans in the ScanSnap Home folder for maybe a month or so then delete. If you delete from the ScanSnap Home Folder, do so through the app not the finder.

Please do some tests on this before you commit. I don’t want you to lose anything.