Don’t try to use ⌘ ⇧ ⌥ ⌃ . for as a Keyboard Shortcut

Special tip, especially for all those “hyper-key” folks out there, but good for everyone to know…

I tried to assign command+shift+option+control+period as “Cancel All Macros” for Keyboard Maestro, and couldn’t get it to work.

I didn’t get an error or a system beep, it just appeared as if nothing had happened. But something was happening in the background, it just took several minutes before it became apparent.

Turns out that command+shift+option+control+period is a macOS reserved shortcut which will produce a “sysdiagnose” file in /private/var/tmp/ (mine was 350MB, compressed).

As far as I can tell there is no way to override or re-define that keyboard shortcut.

{Cross-posted to the Keyboard Maestro forum as well.}

7 Likes

Oh, yeah, this hits me every once in a while, as I have hyper+/ bound and keep mistyping. I really should change it, but by now I’m so used to it…

1 Like

On an Automators ep. Mad Science Automation with Brett Terpstra, they talked about keybindings and customizing them. I wonder if that could override the keyboard shortcut.

I use Karabiner-Elements, and have never had a problem with sysdiagnose, that I know of. I have hold-CapsLock mapped to hyper, and tap-CapsLock mapped to F18.

1 Like

I use Cmd+Escape for Cancel All Macros. The combination seems symbolic and intuitive, given the action. Literally “I command you to escape this”.

1 Like