Done with cloud software! Evernote edition

Love your attitude and you make a good case. Hope you are right.

2 Likes

Thanks! Google was failing me. :slight_smile:

i searched their forum. easier.

Like users said in that linked thread, DT being so good at finding and converting all stored WebArchive gives me confidence to use it for now. Would love to see a better format replace it that purports to do what it does.

Imagine a format that intelligently mocks and overrides server-side endpoint responses in the JS files!

Otherwise there’s SingleFile. It does not work on Safari but on all other browsers : the extension saves the render of a web page in a single HTML file with all media encoded directly in Base 64. Probably the most future proof there is.

I also left Evernote out of frustration and moved to Keep It. I liked that it all stored on the file system so you always have access to it and it uses iCloud to sync across devices. I also liked I can take notes in whatever file format and editor I want and just save it within the Keep It directory and it is added to Keep It. It has its papercuts, but I have liked the flexibility.

That’s exactly it. I don’t trust them to have my best interest at the core of their product anymore. This company has been riddled problems and so poorly ran. How removing such a core power user feature ever go “ok’d” is beyond me.

What in their track record gives you any idea that they will improve it? My elementary research has lead to the electron platform not supporting these power user features, thus Evernote will never be able to as I understand it.

Is electron open source? Can they fork it and add on features? I admit I haven’t dug that deep.

That’s certainly what I am researching now. Something that just stores Standard files ideally in the file system. I’ll look into Keep It

There are lots of options, I wrote my thoughts on them a while back. jb… Taking Notes

I’ve mostly gone to Apple Notes for notes, the file system for everything else. I’ve still got DEVONthink, and it’s got some nice features, but it’s very heavy… tries to do everything. It’s got the Finder, rich text editor, plain text editor, pdf viewer, Hazel file processing, a web browser, script editor, etc, etc, etc…

Honestly macOS would be better off including some features of DT. I wrote about that as well. jb… A New macOS

Come to think of it, EagleFiler is looking really nice lately! I’m going to give that a shot.

2 Likes

Plenty, over the years there have been some very public shortcomings of the tool that they said they would address and they did, i.e. formatting within notes. I agree they fell victim to the bloat-ware paradigm. Most recently I submitted a bug where the iOS client wasn’t showing the badge icons for reminders. I got a very fast response with multiple follow-ups. One of the best software customer support experiences I’ve had… ever!.

Now, will they be able to overcome the limitations of Electron platform, who knows? That is more dependent on the Electron developer community. One thing we can pretty much count on is that it will not be as full-featured as a Mac only piece of software.

I think you got rose colored glasses on. Their track record is horrible in my opinion.

There are a couple successful products running on top of Electron: Visual Studio Code, Slack, even the awesome Obsidian. So the choice of platform is not bad per se. Obviously, for old EN users this is a downgrade as some functionality supported by the native clients is still missing.

The client platform migration that they did is nothing short of impressive from an engineering perspective and I believe it’s the right choice for them. If Evernote was a new product and launched 3 months ago, I think the popular consensus would be that it’s a great product. But they cannot shake their history.

They are now on a much faster release cycle so we can expect improvements in the product. Regarding lack of native AppleScript support due to Electron, I dont think it will ever be implemented, but they will go allowing automation via Javascript.

I am not leaving Evernote as a paying customer, but I am looking for alternatives. I have migrated to Apple Notes for the moment. KeepIt is one of the most “Evernote classic” like note-taking apps out there. I checkd it out this week and it’s really nice.

4 Likes

Fair point and I think you’re right.

1 Like

JavaScript would be great since its more easily translated into other platforms and would allow for some Node.JS stuff. AppleScript will be missed still…

I would not hold my breath though.

1 Like

Depending on how complex your needs are Joplin might work. It’s UI isn’t great, but functionality is pretty good, and it has a decent web clipper on the the Mac (but not on iOS last I checked). Markdown based with optional WYSIWYG if you want it.

It’s an open source project which ha been around for long enough that it should be fairly stable. I’ve almost moved to it serveral times but getting data out of Notes.app is really hard without losing data. Though I think the latest Exporter.app and Big Sur might manage it.

Don’t know about good options for note taking/clipping specifically, but this GitHub repo is a great resource for finding self-hosted options for lots of different tasks.

I’ve been using EagleFiler for years but, as I said earlier, have rarely used the web clipper. Turns out it offers several format options for saving web pages. The PDF option(s) creates a searchable PDF with clickable links. Looks like I may be expanding my use of EF.

1 Like