Downgrading from iOS 12 GM

Hi all, I have a question for more experienced iOS users than myself. I have been in the habit of downloading the betas when they come and I know how to downgrade back to iOS 11 so I can get back onto the normal software track, but my question is do I need to do that? I have iOS 12 Gold Master on my phone - do people generally just stay on that part of the development tree and will it continue to be updated as betas? Or is it best to take the time to downgrade? What do most folks do? Thanks for any advice.

I’m wondering the same thing, glad you asked

1 Like

Delete the beta device management profile from your device: Settings -> General -> Device Management -> iOS 12 Beta (the profile name may be wrong as I have already deleted mine) and then just go in to Settings -> General -> Software Update to install the public release.

1 Like

There is no need to downgrade from iOS 12 GM and go back to iOS 11. The iOS GM Public Beta you downloaded last week is the same build number as the official iOS 12 Apple released yesterday. If you want to get back on track with the normal iOS updates going forward all you need to do is remove the iOS Beta Profile in “Setting > General” Scroll down and you should see it, remove it. Restart the device and you’re good to go.

2 Likes

Thanks for the help!

Awesome I’ll try that when I get home

1 Like

In fact the IPSW firmware images are bitwise identical.

2 Likes