Download YouTube videos as audio files

Long shot: anyone out there with access to a workflow that allows one to download a youtube video as audio and then put it in Overcast for a later listen?

Something similar with work as well.

Can’t help you with a workflow but for many years on my Mac I’ve used Mediahuman’s free YoutubeToMP3 app, which I then have automatically put into iTunes for me. They offer a yearly IAP to speed up the downloads, which can be useful if you do that a lot, but it’s not necessary.

I liked the app so much that I did pay for the speed-up for a year or so, then I just bought their more comprehensive YouTube Downloader app, which lets you choose to download the entire video or just the audio. (It also works on a number of other sites, like Vimeo, Dailymotion, Soundcloud, etc).

2 Likes

Again, not a workflow/shortcut but I’ve been using YouTube-dl to download YouTube videos on a Mac and add them to iTunes via Hazel to watch later. There’s an option to create MP3 files from the video. It’s a Python script so theoretically you could run in Pythonista which should be able to be called from a shortcut on an iPad or iPhone but I’ve never tried it. I’m not sure how you’d get them into Overcast, save them to Dropbox maybe?

1 Like

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/8bd5f049df7949b5a386ff85381586b3 But…overcast only allows uploads through the web interface. Which has never worked for me on the phone