Download YouTube videos as audio files

Long shot: anyone out there with access to a workflow that allows one to download a youtube video as audio and then put it in Overcast for a later listen?

Something similar with work as well.

Can’t help you with a workflow but for many years on my Mac I’ve used Mediahuman’s free YoutubeToMP3 app, which I then have automatically put into iTunes for me. They offer a yearly IAP to speed up the downloads, which can be useful if you do that a lot, but it’s not necessary.

I liked the app so much that I did pay for the speed-up for a year or so, then I just bought their more comprehensive YouTube Downloader app, which lets you choose to download the entire video or just the audio. (It also works on a number of other sites, like Vimeo, Dailymotion, Soundcloud, etc).

2 Likes

Again, not a workflow/shortcut but I’ve been using YouTube-dl to download YouTube videos on a Mac and add them to iTunes via Hazel to watch later. There’s an option to create MP3 files from the video. It’s a Python script so theoretically you could run in Pythonista which should be able to be called from a shortcut on an iPad or iPhone but I’ve never tried it. I’m not sure how you’d get them into Overcast, save them to Dropbox maybe?

2 Likes

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/8bd5f049df7949b5a386ff85381586b3 But…overcast only allows uploads through the web interface. Which has never worked for me on the phone

Castro podcast player has this feature built into the app.

You can also use huffduffer bookmark that can then be turned into a workflow.