Drobo + Ventura

Just go at email from Drobo concerning macOS Ventura:

Thank you for entrusting Drobo with your critical data. We have found that the upcoming macOS Ventura update is currently incompatible with Drobo. We cannot guarantee compatibility with future OS updates. Therefore, if you are planning on upgrading your macOS we highly recommend backing up data that resides on your Drobo to mitigate any unknown impacts of incompatibility. Furthermore, the Drobo should be shut down prior to performing the OS update.

More here.

2 Likes

Maybe time to say goodbye to Drobo. Anyone offer a painless alternative, preferably one I can reuse the hard drives I currently have in drobo (after reformat of course)?

2 Likes

That is strange, especially the part where they say they can’t guarantee compatibility with future OS updates. As the maker of storage technology, isn’t that their main job, keeping their devices working with mainstream computer vendors??

Drobo used to be a highly recommended brand. Went down the drain a while ago. I still keep one around (5D) as a backup device for less-critical stuff.

Was poking around on the Drobo website. The first thing on the page is a post about Covid from March 2020! Looking at the Drobo store, all models are sold out: Drobo Storage Arrays- Store View | Drobo Store

Looks like a zombie company to me. Probably no engineers around to keep up with macOS updates.

2 Likes

I took all my drives out of my 4 bay drobo and put them in a Synology DS420+. Fully recommend.

2 Likes

Looks like a zombie company to me. Probably no engineers around to keep up with macOS updates.

They have filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

2 Likes

Seems like the supply chain issues surrounding Covid finally broke the camel’s back - but I think that camel was already very heavily loaded from competition from more agile NAS vendors.

3 Likes