Dropbox alternatives

I’m a Dropbox user and am closing in on my remaining available storage space and the paid upgrade to Dropbox Plus is $10.75/month. I’m curious to see if there are people using other alternatives to Dropbox that provide more storage space or as much for a cheaper price while being just as secure and reliable. Any advice or recommendations are valued.

While I have Dropbox, it seems like all the big players also give me similar storage. Got some with Microsoft. Got some with Adobe. Got some with Google. Now I just have to remember what is where.

Major question: what do you intend to store in there and how many people are you sharing the files with?

If it is just stashing your own stuff, and you aren’t making movies with Premier, etc. just about any reasonably priced storage would do. See if you are getting some free with your Adobe or Microsoft subscriptions.

Another option is just to buy your own server space through any server provider. When I had a bigger website, and before Dropbox and friends, I’d just make non-public directories and put stuff in them. Nothing private, of course, and maybe stuff I wanted the share with a select group of people, or just have an off-site “safe” for files I didn’t want to lose just in case.

I went with iCloud, and dropped Dropbox down to the free level. iCloud is $1.99/mo for 200GB, just right for me and my girlfriend (family plan).
I keep Dropbox for sharing with people.
Backblaze takes care of backups, effectively unlimited storage for $5/mo.

I have an account at sync.com. It doesn’t have the hooks that Dropbox has, and because it’s not well known, it doesn’t play as nice with some software. That said, if you’re looking for a place to store your bits in the sky, it’s phenomenal. Part of the reason they don’t have the same hooks is because they put privacy over a lot. They’re more secure than Dropbox, cheaper, and Canadian. :slight_smile:

Dropbox Plus is US $8.25/month, not $10.75. FYI if you have an Office 365 subscription, Microsoft throws in 1Tb storage. And as you noted Adobe subscriptions also give you storage.

Personally, for the sake of simplicity and not having to manage my own server, I’m perfectly happy to pay Apple for iCloud, which in the last few years has been rock solid and perfectly private. If I need to share specific files I use my free Dropbox, or my lifetime lite-pro accounts to Droplr and CloudApp (which periodically come up at StackSocial for around $30). Most of the reasons I had for using Dropbox in years past have fallen away as more and more Mac apps have integrated in transparent iCloud use.

I don’t know if Dropbox still do this, but they used to give you an additional 500 mb space if you referred someone to sign up.

I used $50 of free trial Google AdWords credit to advertise my referral link for a few cents per 1000 impressions and maxed out my referral limit in a few days. I now have something like 25 GB of free storage with them.

Generally I recommend going with google drive, since it works about everywhere and I can get 100GB for like $2 a month.

That said I am slowly moving away from google drive to google cloud object storage in an S3 bucket as that lets me have greater programmatic control over the files. But S3 buckets are very much not for everyone.

I use both Dropbox (1 TB), Google Drive (unlimited), and iCloud (2 TB). In the past it was a bit confusing trying to figure out what I had where, but I have worked on better organization over the past few years. I am a college professor and research scientist, and use Dropbox mainly to share data associated with collaborative research projects with researchers I work with outside the university. Goggle drive is where I keep most personal files and files related to my university work. Finally, iCloud is where I do all things Apple (i.e. backups, etc.). iCloud use is still somewhat in development for me.