Dropping Bluetooth wireless

I have a high spec Mac Studio from 2022. It has a similarly newish Apple keyboard, mouse and trackpad.

My problem is that the Bluetooth connection drops a lot. Perhaps 8 times a day. The keyboard is fairly reliable. It will drop perhaps a couple times a week. The mouse is by far the worse. If I leave the computer for a spell it is likely to be disconnected. Sometimes it will disconnect while I am using the computer.

Clicking on the mouse a few times will generally, but not always, cause it to connect again. The trackpad will also disconnect frequently but it turns out that I am not that much of a trackpad user so it does not bother me that much. It more reliably reconnects if I click on it a few times. It turns out that my most frequent use of my trackpad is to reconnect my mouse. I click on the trackpad and it reconnects usually pretty promptly. Then I go to the Bluetooth in the menubar and select my mouse which is grayed out. The icon will spin for a bit and the mouse will reconnect.

This is a niggling frustration. Is there something wrong with my computers WiFi antennae? Is there such a things? Is there a way to test or quantitate this sort of problem?

Previously I had an iMac from 2014. Also wireless keyboard, trackpad and mouse all from the same era as the iMac itself. I never had this problem.

any chance that this problem coincided w/ an upgrade to Sonoma?

1 Like

Other guesses:

Interference in the environment, even though the mouse is faring worse than the keyboard. I assume your computer room hasn’t changed much but there could be something about how the new case interacts with it. A cable in the wrong spot often causes it. To troubleshoot this you’d try reorganizing your desk or moving it around the room. Maybe use an RF meter to check for radiation.

You could run diagnostics to see if you get the Bluetooth hardware error code.

Swapping to a different mouse/keyboard to see if anything changes helps isolate. too.

There are well documented interference issues between USB-C/USB3 and Bluetooth. Make sure all your USB cables are high quality (well shielded) and are as far away from your keyboard and mouse as possible.

1 Like

I have the same problem. iMac was rock solid, Mac Studio not.

I thought it was me and perhaps my use of USB external drives and devices.

Haven’t tracked it down yet.

Worse, I hardwired the keyboard and trackpad with USB to Lightning cables, and still sometimes they lock up.

When I happens, I have to unplug the keyboard or trackpad and flip the tiny power button on the back edge off and back on.

With no evidence, I am starting to think it is a Sonoma software problem. Could be a Mac Studio hardware problem or wireless interference, but with Sonama relatively new software and somewhat buggy, and the unpredictable/intermittant occurance, I just don’t know.

Sorry I don’t have a fix, but at least “we are not alone” in this!

Do you have a specific piece of gear in mind? Would love to have a way to test for wireless BLE/USB interference, but haven’t found anything affordable or usable by normal humans.

I wish. I’ve only used someone else’s and I don’t remember the make/models. I bet a lot of us know a guy, though…

No sadly. I had this problem in pre-Sonoma days as well.

1 Like

+1.
My impression is that it started after updating to Sonoma, but I’m not 100% sure.
For me it’s a constant interruption on Bose headphones.

I use a wired keyboard and a wireless mouse with a USB receiver. No connection problems.

I have the same issue with an intel iMac on an older OS. Drives me bananas. I ended up plugging in my keyboard and switching from a Magic Mouse to a Magic Trackpad so I could use it plugged in.

-Eric

I certainly won’t discount anyone’s solutions, but it is my belief that Bluetooth just sucks. I’ve had problems like this as long as I can remember.

It’ll even drop my trackpad connection while I’m using it. My favourite bit is when I turn it off and on again (quickest/simplest fix), macOS tells me about the dropped connection. So it did not lose contact, it just decided to stop working. I don’t see this as an indication of interference.

2 Likes

I wish there was a way to use Apple keyboard/mouse/trackpad with Logitech RF interface instead of BLE, but obviously that’s a non-starter.

(Yes, I know some people prefer Logitech or other devices, but I just want my Apple peripherals to work properly.)

1 Like