DTTG possible subscription model

I understand that DTTG is possibly moving to subscription model.

What are the thoughts on this. I generally dislike the subscription model but am aware I may be an outlier.

I very much came to rely on DT and would very much like to see them stay in business.
I don’t like DTTG much, but I’m okay with a subscription on iOS since you can’t do upgrade pricing, especially if that means faster and better development of the app.

6 Likes

I never use DTTG though I use DEVONthink 3 all the time. It is where I keep nearly everything. In fact I think next phone I get will go back to the entry level model. I couldn’t care less about photos and so on. I use photos for notes and so on but quality is irrelevant to me. I guess people use DTTG on iPads? I would be interested to know how well that works out?

1 Like

Not great.

DTTG does not have an integrated RTF editor and touching those files breaks formatting. Markdown is no fun either.

PDF reading and annotating, on the other hand, works quite well. I use DTTG on iPad mostly for reading an annotating without bothering to go to an external app. But, even considering the limitations on iOS, other apps show you can do a lot better with a document manager on the platform.

4 Likes

How far has the iOS app come in the beta?

If the functionality and improvements bring enough value, I’d certainly consider it. If the app were to move to a subscription as it stands right now, I would probably pass.

1 Like

Same here. I need DT on my Mac, don’t care about it on iDevices.

1 Like

I have not used DTTG for awhile, but…

• DevonThink To Go has always been a terrible application
  • it has not gotten noticeably better during the course of its entire life
  • which does not make me keen to see it move to subscription

Now, if (and it’s a big if…) they made a decent app and a subscription would help them maintain it, I might be interested, but I’d have to see something pretty impressive because there is a lot of neglect to overcome.

6 Likes

Can neither confirm nor deny anything, but the next update of DTTG, hypothetically speaking, is pretty damn great. At least IMO. I use it primarily for PDF manipulation and review, but it’s very nice for viewing MD files now too. Hypothetically.

8 Likes

Not much improvement in DTTG beta to even justify subscription. A lot of those so called improvements and bug fixes should have been done in v2.x rather than trying to justify a v3.0. More than 8 months without an update to v2.7.7. Such a massive gap between Mac vs iPad/iOS versions. They are forcing customers to go subscription if need to access data in mobile devices.

5 Likes

I’d have to agree with @iApple here. The updates are mostly bug fixes and adopting new technologies in the OS, like dark mode, multi-window.

As a stand-alone app, I don’t think it’s much more powerful than those shelf apps say Yoink. But if you need to sync with DT on Mac, this is the only option and they’re trying to impose a hefty fee on it. (Supposedly 2.5x the cost of Keep It Mobile.)

4 Likes

Subscription model is fine; It might actually make it easier to convert from Evernote. I always want the top tier of function but that looks prohibitive; A subscription doesn’t look so scary.

Looking at DT on the mac, which is a good app but certainly not great, I’d have to see the app first.
Not really impressed with the outdated look and feel, or usability of the mac software.

I have most of my docs in DT on the mac, and occasionally look at something on the iPad, but that’s very rare. The current DTTG app is basically useless, and it would have to be a lot better for me to subscribe to it.

I sure hope if it does move to a subscription model it comes with some promise of more frequent updates.

1 Like

Where is this understanding based on? Could you point out some sources for this?

As in the Devontechnologies discourse I haven’t seen yet any discussions pointing towards a subscription model.

The developers have stated not to have made info about any pricing available:

Let me see if I got this straight as I have tried DT in the past and basically had the most base interest in it, although I do :two_hearts: love apps, particularly ones that help organize me. I’m a firm believer in that sort of lateral, any shape goes, if that makes sense.
I read a number of reviews of it from the iPad App Store. People use it for a wide array of things and take from it what they like about it. Is that’s what’s going on and they are moving to a largely unavoidable subscription model (one of two perchance I can stomach). Terrific way to generate creativity.

1 Like

This info is from TestFlight. The dev at DT almost never says anything about plans publicly so I guess you won’t get anything from their forum.

3 Likes

That would be in line with their recent version which severely restricted the number of Macs that you could use DevonThink on. They just announced it when it came out, and basically shrugged at people who complained about the drastic restriction.

1 Like

I’m surprised devs can get away with this. I think this should have been illegal. I’m no legal expert but It’s exactly like taking away what customers have bought. It would be a similar situation if the subscription based DTTG replaces the previous app and forces old users to pay again for access.

It was a completely new version, after supporting and maintaining the previous version for 9 years with no upgrade fee. The new version came with an upgrade fee and new limits on the number of seats included in the base price. The upgrade was not mandatory. The customers had absolutely nothing they had already bought taken away from them.

7 Likes

Thanks for the clarification. I thought it’s changing limits on the current version. If it’s a new version without mandatory update, I guess it’s really their decision to make.

Same goes with DTTG: if they release a new separate app, I think it’s okay. I’ll just not upgrade if I’m not happy. But if they update the existing app and demand subscription for old users to access the app, then it’s a completely different story.

1 Like