DTTG possible subscription model

If you want to start a support group, there are many of us who can support you during this difficult time. I have called my AA (apps anonymous) sponsor many times before. :joy::rofl:

6 Likes

I’ve had the exact opposite experience with the DEVONThink people. I’ve made suggestions and either they are eventually implemented, or they explain why they can’t or won’t, and also offer work arounds and alternative ways of looking at the problem I am facing.

5 Likes

I found DEVONthink 3 very responsive and helpful to date. It is my main app now without a doubt. Maybe it works for me though of course. I don’t do any really heavy lifting now.

3 Likes

DTTG is having an update to 2.7.8

The release note and in-app changelog are worth to read

2 Likes

I’ll save you a click:

This is (one of) the last maintenance update(s) for DEVONthink To Go 2.

It prepares the data store for version 3.0, which has been in the works for a while and will become available as a separate app in the App Store in due course.

A welcome screen will inform you about the arrival of DEVONthink To Go 3.0.

The update to 2.7.8 also brings those bug fixes over from version 3 that don’t depend on larger changes to the database or app structure, or would make the app incompatible to iOS 11 and 12.

And finally, we’ve updated the PDF library and MultiMarkdown support as well as brought the sync submodule on part with DEVONthink 3.6 for Mac and the upcoming DEVONthink To Go 3.0.

See also DEVONtechnologies’ Christmas Updates blog post, which ends with this (which is both a smaller font and lighter grey color than everything else).

While we have an internal release date for DEVONthink To Go 3 we don’t publish it yet as there might be unforeseen delays caused, e.g., by factors out of our control. We are not releasing it before the Christmas holidays, though, as we want to be available for customer support when we put it into your hands. Version 3 will also bring changes to the licensing model but we are not yet disclosing them at this point in time as we might make adjustments until the final release.

Emphasis mine.

There is already a third thread on the DevonThink Discourse where people are protesting this, but it won’t make any difference.

A DTTG subscription is coming with version 3. The only question is whether or not version 3 will be deemed “worth it” to people.

The good news is that the people who are on the beta seem to think it is a vast improvement. Here’s hoping.

3 Likes

I am glad they are bringing the bug fixes to v2. My use case is limited to accessing my database (viewing only), so I may stick with v2 for some time (assuming its stable).

I am assuming the v3 will be a separate app.

1 Like

Yea, I look forward to seeing what the 3.0 features and pricing are. Every individual gets to choose what the value in the product or subscription is. I’m guessing that every iOS/MacOS release becomes an annoying issue for developers.

3 Likes

Yes, the release notes for v 2.7.8 say that 3.x will be a separate app. it also says you’ll be notified in the 2.7.8 app that the 3.x app is available, but that definitely sounds like they are going to leave it there for people who want to keep using it.

2 Likes

I like that solution since I use 2.7.8. This allows me to keep doing what I’m doing. I hope that they’ll maintain bug fixes for a year or two more.

Well… not to be the bearer of bad news, but given that the release notes for 2.7.8 start with this:

This is (one of) the last maintenance update(s) for DEVONthink To Go 2.

I would not expect anything more and would certainly not expect DTTG v2 to work with iOS 15 unless it just so happens that Apple doesn’t add/change anything that breaks it.

DevonTech has repeatedly said on their forum that they are a small company with limited resources and can only really focus on one app at a time. I can’t see them taking time away from improving v3 for subscribers to fix problems in v2 that will have “opportunity costs” and generate no additional income for them.

3 Likes

They did not fix the TextExpander bug with 2.7.8, I doubt I will do a subscription with them so I guess 2.7.8 is the end of the line for me… I am going to back up the .ipa and call it a day. As someone else in the thread said, I just use the iOS apps to access the data so a subscription does not make sense… my subscriptions are already pushing $70/month (with annual subs factored in)… that said, if the annual sub is $10 or so, I would do it. didn’t we pay $30 for the iOS app already?

The app is currently listed at $15USD but I’m not sure what price it was when it first came out.

$15. The price hasn’t changed in ten years.

3 Likes

I recall, purchasing the app and then also there was an in-app purchase for something that I cannot recall.

So all up USD30 sounds about right.

There’s an $8 IAP for DTTG Pro.

Very good point. I probably bought 5 years ago and have found it of great use, predominately for referencing. its after all a companion to the mac app.

Incredible value for a customer to pay less than $30 and use it for so long and v2 still works so I cannot complain. I would happily pay another $30 but for subscription, i would prefer the iOS app to have feature parity with the mac.

Would it have dark mode?

1 Like

I checked my invoices… it was 14.99 + 799 IAP. so $23 for an iOS was nothing to sneeze at. :smiley:

2 Likes

They have to see whether Apple notices that they’re building in the DEVONtech App Store as an extra revenue model. It’s rumored that launching your own app store can cause…delays. :wink: