Dual monitors Keynote and Zoom

I haven’t read this entire thread, but I went through this dance a month or so ago for a live stream using OBS. I ended up running Keynote on my iPad, and shared it to my Mac using a Mac app called Reflector. That Relfector window is what I shared with my audience. I hid the Reflector toolbar, so the audience only saw the Keynote. I also paired a trackpad to the iPad, and used that to advance the slides. It worked flawlessly, for a presentation that had numerous animations. Nobody but me knew the presentation originated on another device.

3 Likes

Has anyone tried using Keynote Live and having users connect that way instead?

Yes, thanks. I reported on that above as well. That does sort of work. But I can’t get the participants videos, just the list of participant names and the chat box on top of the Keynote presenter view.

If the “Use dual monitors” settings is unchecked you should be able to drag the window that shows video feeds for a few participants at a time onto your second monitor. It’s far from ideal, but better than nothing.

I am trying to make the Keynote presenter view go away entirely and view the participant video screens so I can see the audience.

I’ve searched high and low, but haven’t found a way to prevent Keynote from taking over all of the displays while the presentation is active. Hopefully, Apple will present this as an option in the future.

3 Likes

Some good news to pass along.

Keynote 4.0, which was released earlier today, gained a new “Play Slideshow in Window” feature!

Simply select Play > Slideshow in Window and your slideshow will play (you guessed it) in a window. In Zoom, click the Share Screen button in the toolbar then share the Keynote window. Meeting participants will only see the slideshow window.

Bonus Tip: If you’re using slide transitions (especially the fancy ones), I recommend checking the “Optimize Screen Share for Video Clip” checkbox when you share your screen in Zoom. I find that it makes the transitions smoother (though they’re still a bit choppy).

The only downside I’ve discovered is that it doesn’t appear to be possible to display the presenter screen (e.g. timer and next slide) when you’re using the Slideshow in Window feature. It would be nice if there were also a “Presenter Notes in Window” option.

5 Likes

Thanks for the follow up. This would be useful for me if it didn’t lock out that presenter view. I hope it helps others and maybe Apple will eventually expand on the feature.

You’re welcome, @evanfuchs. It’s unfortunate that the “Slideshow in a Window” feature locks out the presenter view. Though, at least this is a step in the right direction.

A workaround is to use the iPad/iPhone as a remote, so you can have the presenter view on that device.

3 Likes

Muito obrigado, @ldebritto! That’s VERY helpful.

I just did a test where the Keynote was playing in a window on my iMac and my 12.9" iPad Pro was displaying the notes for the current slide alongside the next slide/build. Worked like a charm!

For upcoming sessions what I think I’ll do is take the Keynote window full screen so that I can share my entire desktop in Zoom (this way I can easily switch to apps for demo/training purposes). I’ll use my iPad for the presenter view and my second monitor (a 27" monitor in portrait mode) can be used for chat, participants, reference material, etc.

1 Like

Oh my gosh! I gave a presentation today and haven’t updated Keynote yet. I’m so happy to see this. Thank you for the followup!

1 Like

I’ve been doing precisely this workflow on Microsoft Teams for the whole semester as we moved classes off-line.

Had my slides on Keynote fullscreen and a full screen Google Doc with questions previously populated by my students.

As a bonus, Keynote on iPad allows for Apple Pencil markups while presenting (it does not get saved into the slide, so draw away!), which proved time and time again to be very helpful for signaling details to my students when questions arose.

3 Likes

I’ve been doing precisely this workflow on Microsoft Teams for the whole semester as we moved classes off-line. Had my slides on Keynote fullscreen and a full screen Google Doc with questions previously populated by my students.

Nice. Thanks for sharing.

As a bonus, Keynote on iPad allows for Apple Pencil markups while presenting (it does not get saved into the slide, so draw away!), which proved time and time again to be very helpful for signaling details to my students when questions arose.

Being able to annotate with the Apple Pencil is a nice bonus. I was experimenting with this feature earlier today.

You’re very welcome @Doty. Good to hear this was helpful!

Look at the app: mmhmm still in beta. You might find this useful for related type tasks.

Google it.

Covid has really given a push to the development of apps helpful in remote learning/teaching which is great.

Looks very cool. I’m interested to see how exactly it works with Zoom, rather than replacing it. Signed up. Thanks

Look at the app: mmhmm still in beta. You might find this useful for related type tasks.

FYI: There’s a thread on this topic:

Need to enhance your video calls? mmhmm invite only beta announced

I’m curious to check this out and added myself to the waiting list.

As I shared in the above thread, I’m also using eCamm Live Pro that, among other things allows me to share my screen (including a Keynote window) in my video feed. The downside is that Zoom’s video feeds are currently limited to 720p, unless you have a Business/Enterprise account or are using a Zoom Room and I find that the text on Keynote slides isn’t as sharp as it is when sharing the screen. Still, it’s useful in some circumstances.

1 Like

The introduction of “Play Slideshow in Window” is proving very helpful in my case. There are some notes about this from me and others earlier in this thread.

Just bought another monitor. Useful information :ok_hand:

1 Like

Glad to see I’m in good company trying to maximize Keynote productivity while using Zoom. For those who have trouble playing audio/video in your slides, you might be making the same mistake I did – seems like you have to animate them with transitions. I didn’t want to click on the PLAY button in the middle of the screen to start my videos, so I found I could start them by layering them in back (my vids are motion backgrounds) of the text, but selecting the video file and choosing to create a build-in for the video with the selection “After Transition” as pictured below:

The next challenge was figuring out why it only worked sometimes. Turns out clicking (or down-arrow) is not the same as the menu item Slide -> Go To -> Next Slide. Go figure!

Previously, before play-in-window functionality, I had been running the slideshows in edit mode and hid all the toolbars, panels, inspectors, the navigator, etc. But I didn’t see a way to click to the next slide from my keyboard. So I used Keyboard Maestro and mapped PgDn to select Slide -> Go To -> Next Slide (the down arrow wasn’t doing that while in edit mode). Now I see in PLAY mode, the arrows will work, but the Slide menu just jumps to the next slide without its transition. This renders video build-ins inoperable.

Hope my misadventures help someone else in a similar situation. I might be doing something the hard way but getting motion backgrounds to play automatically has been a real challenge until yesterday.

BTW – has anyone found a way to automate the Zoom windows when they all have the same title? So frustrating. I can manipulate windows with KM with the best of them, but those identical window titles drive me crazy.

window names

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Hey Siri, tell Keyboard Maestro to tell the second inactive window named zoom to maximize over to the monitor on my right and shrink by 50%…

2 Likes

Great thread, and I will try the “use iPad as remote” idea. Unfortunately I also use my iPad while teaching on Zoom as a whiteboard. There might be some juggling issues.

Keynote in a window was a great update, and hopefully Apple will complete the process by adding presenter display.

1 Like

Unfortunately I also use my iPad while teaching on Zoom as a whiteboard. There might be some juggling issues.

I expect it would work fine to use your iPad as both a whiteboard and a Keynote remote. I often switch between giving a Keynote presentation and providing iPad training.

Keynote in a window was a great update, and hopefully Apple will complete the process by adding presenter display.

It would be nice to have the option of having the presenter display in a second window.