Dual monitors Keynote and Zoom

When I launch Sidecar the Connect to: only shows iPad as an option, not my external monitor. (My external monitor is not an apple-banded device). Bummer!

I’m not sure what the issue is with Duet. I’m in a loop trying to install it. It keeps saying install and it needs to restart. So I restart but then I’m back to the endless loop.

Ok! This did work! I was trying to make my presenter display go away entirely. But now I see what you mean. I have everything showing, but it has to sit “on top” of my presenter display. It’s messy, but everything is visible. I wish I could just “turn off” the presenter display. But at least it’s working!

The bummer is, I’m not sure I can see video participants. With small classes, I like to watch the nonverbals of participants so I can see when they might want to say something, are confused, etc. This view gives me the list of participants, but not the video thumbnails. Did you find a workaround for this?

I’m trying your variation, but I feel silly. I can’t figure out how to open these as floating windows. They’re linked to the right side of my main Zoom screen. The only time I seem to have floating windows is when I’m already sharing within Zoom.

For me, on my MBP, “Desktop 1” is my laptop and “Desktop 2” 'is the second display. Then after that I have all sorts of other spaces open.

Trying to follow this. Do you mean a second display, or Desktop 2 as in “spaces”? I am using a MBP with a secondary monitor and wondering how to shuffle things around to try your suggestion. Thanks!

When I wrote “Desktop 2”, I was referring to my second display. I changed my post to reference “Display 1” and “Display 2” to remove any ambiguity.

Got it.

I am more comfortable with sharing the one app at a time for my typical workflow, but I can see how that way would be useful, too.

I think your method would work well for me if I wanted to do a lot of screen sharing/demoing, AND I closed out other apps that I did not want to share or have seen when app-switching.

Thanks for sharing another option!

You’re very welcome, Evan.

As was I think noted previously, Zoom won’t allow you to share Keynote if it’s running in full screen (e.g. when a presentation is running), so you would need to need to go out of full-screen in order to choose Keynote from the sharing options.

On a side note, I typically use a completely separate Mac account when doing demos, training, etc. so there’s no risk of exposing any personal information. I realize this isn’t always the most convenient option, especially if you rely having easy access to your main user account.

When I do this (running Zoom 5.0.2) I get the strip in the right for the active speaker which can be expanded to show more or fewer participants.

FWIW I also have a Zoom pro account through work, but I don’t think that should matter.

That’s exactly what I want, that strip of participants. But to clarify, you’re not using a 2nd monitor, you’re using an iPad for a second screen correct? I’m trying to do this with my 2nd monitor.

FWIW, I plugged in a 3rd screen and Keynote took over all three screens! I don’t know if four monitors would stop Keynote from being such a hog, but I’m out of screens

FWIW, I plugged in a 3rd screen and Keynote took over all three screens! I don’t know if four monitors would stop Keynote from being such a hog, but I’m out of screens

If you move the Zoom chat, participant, and video thumbnails windows to your second monitor before starting your Keynote presentation they’ll be visible while the presentation is running. You’ll find specific instructions earlier in this thread.

I haven’t tried this on a three-monitor setup, but I expect moving these windows to either of your secondary displays before starting the Keynote presentation would do the trick.

I am but they are AirPlay monitors as far as the Mac is concerned so the behavior should be the same.

The Zoom preference for “use dual monitors” is available when I’m logged into my Zoom account (Pro) in a browser on my Mac. It may also be in the Zoom app but usually when I want to change settings, I use the browser view because I know I’m seeing all settings. Note that there is another favorite hidden setting, to show up to 49 attendees in Gallery View (if your computer can handle it).

Yes, thanks. I reported on that above as well. That does sort of work. But I can’t get the participants videos, just the list of participant names and the chat box on top of the Keynote presenter view. I am trying to make the Keynote presenter view go away entirely and view the participant video screens so I can see the audience.

Thank you! I’ve not seen this preference in my Zoom Pro account, but I’ll be sure to look for it!

I haven’t read this entire thread, but I went through this dance a month or so ago for a live stream using OBS. I ended up running Keynote on my iPad, and shared it to my Mac using a Mac app called Reflector. That Relfector window is what I shared with my audience. I hid the Reflector toolbar, so the audience only saw the Keynote. I also paired a trackpad to the iPad, and used that to advance the slides. It worked flawlessly, for a presentation that had numerous animations. Nobody but me knew the presentation originated on another device.

3 Likes

Has anyone tried using Keynote Live and having users connect that way instead?

Yes, thanks. I reported on that above as well. That does sort of work. But I can’t get the participants videos, just the list of participant names and the chat box on top of the Keynote presenter view.

If the “Use dual monitors” settings is unchecked you should be able to drag the window that shows video feeds for a few participants at a time onto your second monitor. It’s far from ideal, but better than nothing.

I am trying to make the Keynote presenter view go away entirely and view the participant video screens so I can see the audience.

I’ve searched high and low, but haven’t found a way to prevent Keynote from taking over all of the displays while the presentation is active. Hopefully, Apple will present this as an option in the future.

3 Likes

Some good news to pass along.

Keynote 4.0, which was released earlier today, gained a new “Play Slideshow in Window” feature!

Simply select Play > Slideshow in Window and your slideshow will play (you guessed it) in a window. In Zoom, click the Share Screen button in the toolbar then share the Keynote window. Meeting participants will only see the slideshow window.

Bonus Tip: If you’re using slide transitions (especially the fancy ones), I recommend checking the “Optimize Screen Share for Video Clip” checkbox when you share your screen in Zoom. I find that it makes the transitions smoother (though they’re still a bit choppy).

The only downside I’ve discovered is that it doesn’t appear to be possible to display the presenter screen (e.g. timer and next slide) when you’re using the Slideshow in Window feature. It would be nice if there were also a “Presenter Notes in Window” option.

5 Likes

Thanks for the follow up. This would be useful for me if it didn’t lock out that presenter view. I hope it helps others and maybe Apple will eventually expand on the feature.

You’re welcome, @evanfuchs. It’s unfortunate that the “Slideshow in a Window” feature locks out the presenter view. Though, at least this is a step in the right direction.