DuckDuckGo I agree

Again a nice idea but irrelevant when they are hacking into your server and using your resources not theirs …

3 Likes

The problem in my cases were that they broke in covered all tracks set up a shadow system within the server bypassing the installed systems. Ie was picked up when the server slowed to a crawl and clients started complaining. We never found out how they got in but their presence was so pervasive we decided the server needed binning to be sure

These were not script kiddies they definitely knew what they were doing and were skilled I doubt it’s actually possible to prevent these level of people no matter what quotas are in place.

1 Like

We paid a lot of money over the years for firewalls, filters, and constant updates. Then did what most companies are choosing these days. Outsource email to Microsoft or Google.

Wow, truly awful. Is that making you rethink in running your own server?

Hi

Not really, this was several years ago and our own server is an integral part of our business strategy (designing and hosting sites). We put all we can in place, do not allow server access to anyone other than us, as the CMS’s are all 99% of what our clients need. We only work with a small group of CMS’s and have blocked adding plugins to clients.

We provide hosting and maintenance in an annual package and a good few clients even just leave the day to day stuff to us sending changes by email which we do for them. Seems to work :+1:

1 Like

See, this is the whole problem with the “charging for email” idea. It’s a huge, decentralized system where there’s nobody that’s ultimately “in charge”.

Imagine that you decided that “people talking to me when I’m minding my own business” was a problem. So you proposed that in order to be allowed to say something to anybody, a person should have to buy “speaking credits”. Consider the amount of effort that would take to implement and enforce, and you’ll be somewhere in the neighborhood of the difficulty of implementing “pay per email” - for just about the same types of reasons.

3 Likes

I had another thought on the Kagi pricing: It’s far easier to lower prices later than to raise them. Maybe they’re starting off high and will re-assess later.

Email doesn’t work in a way that’s compatible with this idea. For example, at my workplace, none of our network transit providers have anything at all to do with email service. Email happens via mail transfer agents that connect directly with one another.

3 Likes

I’d like to hope that’s the case, but that’s not the way their communications are worded. Nobody talks about keeping prices the same for early adopters if they’re planning to lower prices in the future. :slight_smile:

Although it would be awesome if they got so many subscribers that it exceeded all of their expectations and they were able to lower prices!

1 Like

You’ve been looking at my search history, I see. :slight_smile:

1 Like

fixed

20 character limit

3 Likes

I didn’t share this earlier because it’s not practicable for most searches, but: if you’re looking for reviews or blogs and the like, this search engine is free and filters out the commercial rubbish/noise:

Marginalia

I actually use it for all my searches for software reviews, etc., examples of workflows etc. I think it’s actually how I found this forum in the first place (last year!). I have, for example, searched DevonThink and then seen how actual humans have set theirs up and talked about it.

It reminds me of the good old days when blogs were plenty and everyone ran on basic html. That web is still out there :blush:

4 Likes

I have been using duckduckgo since I got super-aggravated that Facebook (where I use to go somewhat. Hardly any more. Honest.;o) was following me around. Since I started using ddg, it has stopped. Now I understand that there are some privacy concerns now but I haven’t noticed anything at all. It got BAD before I switched to ddg.

A friend and I were talking about her having the same problems I use to have. I think she uses Google which I have always avoided like the Bubonic Plague. Should I recommend ddg or would we both be better off with Quant?

You’re better off with DuckDuckGo. It can bet set as the default search engine on more platforms.

2 Likes

I use Duck Duck Go and find it ok, sometimes I default for some reason to Google via some link or something. I use Chrome for one or two things and frankly I do lay a lot of false trails there. I get some spam consequently but it is worth it. The algorithms are nowhere near as clever or as cute as some of us used to think, which is both worrying and comforting at the same time.

Since I deleted my Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn accounts; my wife and I threw Alexa in the bin too, we have felt less like we were being spied on. Not fully, we still get the occasional uncanny ad. However I have aquired a very weird online profile it seems! OK by me as it is nothing like my real one. I also use Tor sometimes, purely to support it and for privacy, nothing ‘sinister’ or even ‘secret’ in any sense I care about.
I take it as granted that anybody with the technology and will could probably view anything I do online. That is my base line assumption. Just out of interest the Duck Duck Go offices are within walking distance of me! So I am supporting a local business in a way?

1 Like

You can use Google get, IMO, the best search results and let them track you. Or use DDG get decent results and let Microsoft track you.

I use Google and clear my cache after each browser session so Comcast is the only one tracking me. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

What is the safest browser then? or the best in your view.

Clear cache and regularly delete cookies you do not recognize. Be attentive to 3rd party cookies; there are legit uses (transaction services from banks for instance, or libraries) but they’re often a pernicious data tracker.

1 Like

I don’t disagree. But I choose keep things simple and delete everything. I’m currently using MS Edge as my primary browser and have set it to erase everything when I quit the program. I don’t consider logging back in using 1PW, or most major password managers, a major inconvenience.

1 Like

How do you do that? I thought you could only do that with Mozilla Firefox.