Dumb question - what non-Apple mouse do y'all like?

I’ve been using Logitech MX mice forever, on Mac and Windows, and the M3 Master is great. I don’t understand the hate for the Logi Options software. I’m not loving it but it works fine for me.

1 Like

Seconded. The only issue I have is occasionally hover stops working until I toggle Bluetooth off and on. What I mean is, the cursor still tracks and all the buttons still work, but if I hover over a link in Safari or over an app in the app switcher or dock, nothing happens. This may be b/c I’m using USB Overdrive instead of the (in the past) awful Logi software.

omg
what is this hopeful feeling I’m feeling

edit: Steermouse seems good, though it looks like it’ll need some fine-tuning to get cursor speed and acceleration to what I’m used to, and I’m not sure I have the patience for that. Still I might play with it some more. Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

The same company that makes Steermouse makes CursorSense.

Although it would be more stuff to fiddle with …

1 Like

Have you discovered that Steermouse has recommended setting for different devices (that can be applied within the settings pane)? I think it’s basically a popularity contest among existing users but I usually find it a good starting point. Far better than whatever default a device uses.

1 Like

Really liking my logitech g502. Smooth and works really well using bluetooth on my mac mini. Also has extra mouse buttons you can customize macros for.

2 Likes

This is one of the best. +1

1 Like

Ahaaa… maybe that’s what’s happening to me too. My intel iMac doesn’t seem to sleep properly, I thought it was just another niggling little macOS bug.

1 Like

Logitech MX Master 3 here too. I’ve not read every comment so others might have said this, but there’s an MX Master 3S now too - same mouse but silence clicks (it was discussed on Cortex I think recently - Myke has one).

Another vote for the Logitech MX Ergo trackball. My previous Logitech trackball started flaking out (switches wearing out) so I switched to my M510 mouse for a couple months and started developing Tennis Elbow. Switched back to the trackball and my elbow has gotten better.

I don’t use all the extra buttons and programmability or anything else. It’s just comfortable and efficient.

1 Like

I’m actually looking at that. Apparently there are two flavors of the Ergo - one that has a slight angle, and another that has a steeper angle.

I have an old wired Logitech one, and I like it - but the fact that it’s flat on the desk leads to my wrist collapsing and pressure on the joint. I’m hoping a steeper angle will solve that.

There is a metal plate attached to the bottom plane of my MX Ergo, magnetically, that can be set to two positions to adjust the angle of the device. If affects the angle of the hand when resting on the device.

Katie

What @KVZ said - it’s one trackball that can sit at two different angles, with a very strong magnet holding the baseplate.

Yeah, I tried that when it first came out and wasn’t happy with either angle.

The “Plus” flavor though now comes with not just that magnetic baseplate, but a separate wedge that gives another 10 degrees of incline. And now, apparently, there are numerous files for 3D printing additional wedges at arbitrary angles - which is very, very appealing to me.

The additional riser: https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-MX-ERGO-Wireless-Trackball/dp/B0768M8B5J/

3D printed options for higher angles: https://www.etsy.com/listing/914466005/

Not a dumb question – I can’t use the Apple Magic Mouse for very long anymore.

I use wired Logitech G502s; instead of using the Logitech G software, I’ve been using BetterTouchTool for the button assignments.

1 Like

In NZ we can’t easily get the Plus version quickly so I just went with the normal. I do now use a wooden block cut to about 10 degreees, so I’d totally recommend trying to get the plus version.

I like my Logitech MX Master 3 the best, followed by a Logitech MX Anywhere 3 for Mac, and as a backup - a Logitech Anywhere 2s

Logitech G502 wireless combined with Steermouse. I used to use it with BTT, but to get that working properly, I needed to use the Logitech Gaming Software (forget the name) to pre-program the buttons, store them in the on-board memory for the mouse, then uninstall the horrible logitech software (It’s worse than Logi Options).

I tried the MX 3 but kept developing RSI issues with it. I also found it had more latency compared to the gaming mice. I’m no gamer, but it still felt like too much lag.

Very happy with these:

For desktop: MX Master — any version, but v3 is the latest and best.

For MacBook and iPad: MX Anywhere — any version. I have both v1 and v2S and find them equally capable for my needs.

3 Likes

I have nothing new to recommend; Logitech mice are great, I also agree re gaming mice - they’re designed not to fail, to be quick and reliable, etc. I use a Razer Viper. It’s wireless. I like the dock and the way the light colour changes depending on how charged it is.

Anyway I’m actually commenting to say +1 to Steermouse. Skip the mouse’s native software, go to the good stuff. Steermouse is very useful. I have a mouse hotkey that’s only job is to open and draw a frame for taking screenshots. The future is here!