Eero Pro disappointment in the UK

WiFI six mesh is here, it’s superior… and the first units out (from Linksys, Amplifi and Orbi) are expensive. But this is where WiFi and mesh is going, so I personally wouldn’t invest in one of the current popular mesh systems.

I’m interested in finally giving up my Airport Extreme and the connected Airport Express (though I might keep it connected to my powered studio monitors as a separate network just for streaming music), and I’m anxiously waiting for comparison reviews of devices using this new standard.

AppleInsider just did a review of the new Velop WiFi 6 mesh units and found them to be utter speed demons.

1 Like

I returned the Eero Pro in the end, ultimately I want to get rid of the Airport completely and as @SpivR pointed out it’s pretty much at the end of it’s life.

I don’t have a BT Home Hub I have a white OpenReach modem which has had the AirPort Extreme plugged into it for many years, AirPort Extreme handled the PPPoE, but Eero support confirmed that the Eero alone wouldn’t handle the PPPoE when plugged directly into the Open Reach modem.

Currently hankering for the days where Apple made routers :slightly_frowning_face:

Hi Leanda

Just read your review on the EEro Pro. I was literally about to purchase but i’m now concerned it wont do what i need it too. Ultimately I want to cover 5000 sqr feet as my house is big with thick walls and this system says it can do that with limited drop in speed.

Can i ask, are you on FTTP at home? I have recently had fibre to the property installed and wonder if this would make a difference? I have the White Open reach box on the wall, with an Ethernet cable to the BT Home Hub. I’m also out of contract soon so thinking of moving to another Fibre provider like, Spectrum or Zen.

I’m not that techi and all I want to achieve is one network that’s fast and strong wifi signal. I currently have the BT Wifi discs which extend my signal, but this is causing havoc with my Sonos system as the speakers all connect via different discs or the main router

Its a mine field this isn’t it!

Any advice would be great
Thanks
John

@John_Hennessy check out the ubiquity UniFi range of products, the UDM coupled with one or more access points should give you rock solid Wi-fi and will allow proper subnetting of IoT devices as well as loads of other features.

Crosstalk solutions on YouTube has loads of videos and walkthroughs.

1 Like

Posting incase someone else finds this as if you type Eero PPPoE UK into Google this thread comes up on page 1. It’s quite an interesting topic and might stop people making an uniformed purchase.

Even today it looks like Eero did not allow PPPoE for the Eero or the Eero Pro. They did however add PPPoE support for the 6 models in what seems to be December 2021. This means you can directly connect the 6 models to the ONT on the wall if you have FTTP.

2 Likes