Eero pro v6 post from MacSparky

Speeds via Wi-Fi were 262 down… now that was tested as a different time (just now) so it might not be a complete “apples to apples” test, but it’s still “262 over Wi-Fi” vs “95 on Ethernet” before.

See update below.

I use Eero Secure+. Paid for most of the cost with the included 1Password subscription. Malwarebytes and Encrypt.me were bonuses. Haven’t really tested it to see how effective the blocking is and whether it improves load times that much. Might have to give that a test sometime.

1 Like

What’s your topology? I’m getting 300 down on my iPhone, and 500 down on my iPad, and that’s on WiFi 5, not WiFi 6 (so the iPad is getting the max possible speed.) I don’t know offhand why the current iPhone can’t also get 500 when it’s on 5ghz, but that your iPhone is 150, half of mine, suggests a problem somewhere.

Secure is okay. NextDNS is cheaper but more fiddly. NextDNS will also tell you exactly what the bad visits are which is information you may or may not want to know; Eero abstracts the threat/content reports to only tell you which devices are doing it and on which day. Performance has been good. I also enable DNS pinning in Discover > Labs; that is a significant boost and doesn’t require a subscription. I don’t have Secure+ but it’s supposedly easy to move your subscriptions over. Secure+ also lets you run a public server from your house using a domain provided by Eero, with Eero keeping the information up-to-date automatically, which could be nice if you want to access something like a home media server.

1 Like

I switched from a separately-paid 1Password Families account to the “free” bundled version that came with eero+. I don’t remember the process exactly, but I do remember that it was very easy.

Oh, they even have a “How To” page:

What should I do if I have a 1Password, encrypt.me, and/or Malwarebytes account? – eero Help Center

Getting EncryptMe was a nice bonus. I don’t use it all that often, but it’s nice to have, and definitely “pays” for eero-plus-secure-pro-max or whatever it’s called. I don’t use MalwareBytes, but I guess it’s good to know that I could.

I don’t know how much of a speed difference blocking ads makes. Seems obvious that it has to make at least some difference, especially with the video ads and other crap they always seem to want to push.

I can tell you that I really noticed a huge difference in the number of absolute garbage ads that I saw when I was on my Mom’s Wi-Fi network for a week, which does not have eero+.

Thanks to everyone for this discussion. On Thursday I will be upgraded to 1GB speed which will make it worth considering some of these things.

1 Like

I just re-ran the Wi-Fi download test on my M1 MacBook Air, a little after midnight (local time) and got 408 down.

I recently changed broadband providers in the UK from Virgin Media to Zen Internet. (I know this thread is more about WiFi, but David’s point is important) and went from 120MB down/10MB up to 65 Down and 20MB up.

The new ISP improved latency massively which has made such a difference to my Daughter’s online gaming, and everything feels faster, despite the slower download speeds.

And of course with the faster upload speeds, my Backblaze backup rarely gets backed up.

So whilst the headline figures give an indication, it’s not the whole story.

Ransomware attacks aren’t always targeted, many are randomly delivered via Spam or webpage drive by. Please don’t think that Security by Obscurity is a thing.

1 Like

Off topic but important: What Geoff says here is absolutely true. The news is full of targeted ransomware attacks these days, but opportunistic spam-based attacks happen frequently. I’ve seen this happen more than once.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled WiFi discussion :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m not sure where the $600 price point same from, but Costco has (as of this post) a 4-pack of Eero 6 Dual band (less desirable than a Tri- band setup) for $379.
I’m sure there are many models of the Eero 6, and that they all may have different features and maximum speeds.

Those quoting $600 were specifically talking about the pro.

1 Like

Secure+ user here - transferred my 1Password subscription over and set up MalwareBytes to automatically scan 1x day, which confirmed for me that AV isn’t necessary for me on the Mac but it’s good to know that anyway.

Does the VPN service work at the router level? That’s the one thing I’m not getting from ExpressVPN

EncryptMe does not work at the router level, it has to be installed in each device.

Bummer - feels like a missed opportunity. Thanks!

Installed my new Eero 6 Pros with my new 1GB internet and am really happy with how it is all working. Certainly has improved the coverage upstairs in my house. Will also be signing up for Eero Secure+ once the free trial is over since the 1Password subscription (I already pay for this) is plenty to make the numbers work. The entire discussion in this tread has been useful. Installing the Eeros did take a bit of work as the router my ISP provided for the 1GB internet involved conflicting instructions for setting up as a bridge. After multiple conversations with the ISP the actual solution simply involved turning off WiFi (was continually puzzled why this was not part of the first set of instructions I was given…but finally talked to a smart person). After that all went well.

Yes I believe that eero secure won’t work in bridge mode, so that’s good to get worked out.

Currently on the trial for Eero Secure and it seems to be working well so whatever it requires seems to be present.

1 Like

So I was looking for any way I could trade in my Gen 1 Eero Pros 3 pack. I found that Amazon does take the Gen 1 Pros 3 pack for trade in ( not great value) but they also do offer 20% off of the current Eero Pro 6. This will bring down to $416.00

But still I’m not convinced as my ISP only drivers up to 240 MB download :relaxed:

Anyone looking to upgrade to Eero Pro 6 from previous eeros should consider trading in and then bagging 20% discount.

Thank you for posting this. I did not know about the eero trade-in and 20% off at Amazon. I just submitted my old eero for the trade-in program.

1 Like