Ejecting External Drive

I have an M2 MBP in my office–work elsewhere on a M1 MBAir and on an Intel MBP at home. The M2 is the only on which I have this problem. When I come back to my office after any period, I have a stream of these notifications. I have Jettison installed and it should eject disks before going to sleep. Ideas?

Just curious, have you been present when Jettison is supposedly doing it’s thing? It might be useful to watch what’s happening.

Katie

I might ‘jettison’ this afternoon and do that very thing.

Do a test to rule out a cable problem. “Portable” external drives are notorious for their low-quality cables (especially the cable connectors). Reconnect the drive with a known good cable to see if the problem persists.

Related: also could be the connector receptacle within the disk drive housing. But that would probably require replacing the disk drive, as if the entire disk drive were defective.

Replacement USB-C disk drive cables are available on Amazon. Look for one with thousands of recent good reviews. “Good” replacement cables tend to be thicker and stiffer than the cheaper cables supplied with portable disk drives.

1 Like

Another great suggestion!

I have more clues. I’ve changed out the cable. I also realized that on my 2TB portable drive, I have partitioned for both Time Machine and Carbon Copy Cloner. I tried to use Jettison but got the spinning beach ball. Uninstalled, reinstalled. Jettison released TimeMachine but not CCC. have to teach now. .