Elgato Stream Deck XL

Okay, okay, enough with the peer pressure. :slightly_smiling_face:
I just ordered one from BestBuy (in the US), and for some reason they sweetened the deal and gave me 10% off.
The only ones available on Amazon were from price-gougers.
From some light googling, it looks like BestBuy Europe failed to thrive :frowning:

2 Likes

Welcome aboard. Let us know what you do with it.

2 Likes

Welcome to the Stream Deck! Looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

1 Like

PSA. It just occurred to me that I’ve never backed up my SD shortcuts (actions?). Found the function under the profile cog wheel by right clicking on a shortcut. Now I can sleep.

4 Likes

I had been copying the com.elgato… file bundle up to DropBox by hand - once a month.

1 Like

I really like this thing!
There’s something about having a physical button to press (or “mash” as I said when I lived in Tennessee) that will do a thing for you.
Pressing my “GT” button then “VPN” to connect/disconnect from the VPN seems so much better than pressing Hyper-G.
So far I’ve got buttons (some cascading/folders) set up to start and stop Toggl timers. The aforementioned VPN button and a couple of others for my TA duties. There are also cascading timers under Learning and Reading. I like the way they cascade “down” from the top-level button.
It’s a lot easier to setup than metagrid, and I don’t have to go find my iPad to use it.
Very happy with it!

Home

Toggl timers under the TA button (all TA related)

Reading timers

Under the GT button

4 Likes

I use my Stream Deck on the home PC (I know, I know), instead of the work-issued Mac. The home PC is connected to 3 monitors - a 38" ultrawide, a 24" portrait and another 24" landscape. Stream Deck is super useful for me to send a window to a monitor and size it accordingly. I believe you can do the same using Keyboard Maestro and Stream Deck in the Mac. Here’s the way I set up the button with my own custom made icons:

3 Likes

I like the fact you’re making layout decisions - with all that real estate.

I try to for my 5 x 3 one. But don’t bother with it for my 3 x 2 one.

1 Like

And now I got Pi with touchscreen working as roll-yer-own I have even more layout freedom… :slight_smile:

1 Like

This one is quite simple and yes, the single action I have setup for Apple Notes (!), but I get such joy every time I press this button. hah hah

Simple goal… clean up folder view. Pressing the button initiates Keyboard Maestro macro to traverse all folders and collapse all open folders

So simple, but so necessary and so satisfying.

1 Like

What I actually tried to do with my 3 x 5 one, inheriting from my 2 x 3 one, was to create a standard cluster of buttons bottom right. And to fill from top left with app-related buttons.

In that “standard cluster” I had, if I remember correctly:

• Go to default profile
  • Go deeper
  • Open StreamDeck app

I should explain “go deeper”:

With 2 x 3 and 3 x 5 you soon run out of buttons so I created a button to open a second page - to extend the real estate. This also has the standard cluster bottom right. Obviously it’s more button presses in the second and subsequent pages so:

• You prioritise what’s on each page.
  • Each button has to be a “more serious” automation.

But now, via a combination of means, the real estate has opened up for me. So I should probably revisit.

(And now I realise I’ve written a whole blog post…) :slight_smile:

Has anyone had a profile disappear before? I did a usual task yesterday (pressed a button to lock my screen and activate the Stream Deck screensaver), walked away from my computer, came back this morning, and my laptop had restarted (the standard MacOS “because of a problem” message). My Stream Deck profile is gone.

I’ll be more careful this time and be sure to export it periodically, but just curious if anyone has seen this happen before.

This has happened to me when the Stream Deck app was running as “root” (because the installer runs as “root”).

Then when it was launched as my regular user, there was no profile information.

1 Like

@tjluoma or others - the Stream Deack macro/plugin which uses icalbuddy to count down to calendar events - will it work with Apple Calendar (which would mean a change to one of the KM macros, of course)?

Also has anyone designed a macro/plugin that displays today’s events, rather than counting down to them?

Many thanks.

Robert - just starting my Stream Deck journey!

Do you mean have it open the default Calendar.app instead of Fantastical? Sure. That should be as easy as selecting the different app in the Keyboard Maestro macro.

I have not only because there really isn’t enough room to display the meeting names on the Stream Deck buttons.

I use Fantastical to show my next meeting in the menu bar of my Mac instead. There’s also ‎MeetingBar (free with optional support as an IAP).

2 Likes

Hi T.J.,
I’ve just been trying to get this to work on my new Mac Mini and I seem to have broken something because the script gives the following 3 errors:

I’m not sure what they mean but I do know that the next event showing is not the one I expected to see.
Thanks for any help.
Debra

Something is going wrong with the script. It seems like it is being run as something other than a zsh script, which means it will not work, as there are lots of zsh-specific code in there.

I do not know how that would have happened, unless you edited the file or it was somehow corrupted.

I would recommended re-downloading it from Github and see if that helps.

Thank you. I’ll try that.

Thank you for this script. The idea of changing the button color is a stroke of genius. I find it extremely useful.
I’ve made an addition to this script -

• I’ve added the ability to “Trigger a script” x minutes before the meeting. My use case is this -
    2 minutes before my “Google Meet”, my script is triggered which does the following
  1. Turn off Dragon Dictate
  2. Turn off Sonos
  3. Jump to Google Meet (which triggers Do Not Disturb)

I can submit the changes if you are open to it.

I released this more with the intention of it being a starting point for people who didn’t know how to do it themselves or a “jumping-off point” for people who wanted to build their own system. It’s not something that I really intend to “maintain” in its public form, at least for the time being.

In fact, I’ve since “re-renovated” the way that I do this now, but haven’t gone through and cleaned it up enough to release it publicly, because it works essentially the same way, the changes are just “under the hood”.

That being said, I’d be very curious to see what you did and how you did it, so if you do want to share that, either here or on GitHub.