Elgato Stream Deck XL

| don’t disagree. Of course, this is sunk cost. (Unless you got a refund.)

@vco1 Can I ask how you control your LMS (Squeezebox) with a Stream Deck?

1 Like

@Tony_Touch Sure! LMS has a jsonrpc api which can be used to control many (if not all) functions of the server. On my Mac I’m running the Squeezelite player. And in my Hammerspoon config I have commands like

http.asyncPost(serverURL .. "jsonrpc.js", '{"id":1,"method":"slim.request","params":["' .. playerId .. '",'..cmd..']}', nil, print)

Where ‘…cmd…’ can e.g. be [“play”,“1”] to start playing or [“playlist”,“index”,"+1"] to skip to the next track.

My config is based on the SqueezeMenu spoon. But instead of using the menu bar I’m controlling LMS through the StreamDeck.

Great thread! I am desperate to get an XL but nobody has it in stock (at least in UK). Is it really worth holding out for the XL rather than the 15 button version? If so, anyone have any idea on when they will become available again.

1 Like

Do you want native USB C? If you do then maybe. I will say I found 15-button cramped so I use it alongside my original 6 button.

One other thing: One of the advantages of Metagrid (with its maximum 11 x 10 grid) is you can lay out your button usage how you want - including with space around a group of buttons. You might value being able to do that with the XL.

1 Like

USB-C isn’t a factor, its more just about the physical number fo buttons and the possibilities that gives me. May be a little over kill for me right now but gives room to grow. I do prefer the stand and the separate cable though compared to the 15 button version.

Okay, okay, enough with the peer pressure. :slightly_smiling_face:
I just ordered one from BestBuy (in the US), and for some reason they sweetened the deal and gave me 10% off.
The only ones available on Amazon were from price-gougers.
From some light googling, it looks like BestBuy Europe failed to thrive :frowning:

2 Likes

Welcome aboard. Let us know what you do with it.

2 Likes

Welcome to the Stream Deck! Looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

1 Like

PSA. It just occurred to me that I’ve never backed up my SD shortcuts (actions?). Found the function under the profile cog wheel by right clicking on a shortcut. Now I can sleep.

4 Likes

I had been copying the com.elgato… file bundle up to DropBox by hand - once a month.

1 Like

I really like this thing!
There’s something about having a physical button to press (or “mash” as I said when I lived in Tennessee) that will do a thing for you.
Pressing my “GT” button then “VPN” to connect/disconnect from the VPN seems so much better than pressing Hyper-G.
So far I’ve got buttons (some cascading/folders) set up to start and stop Toggl timers. The aforementioned VPN button and a couple of others for my TA duties. There are also cascading timers under Learning and Reading. I like the way they cascade “down” from the top-level button.
It’s a lot easier to setup than metagrid, and I don’t have to go find my iPad to use it.
Very happy with it!

Home

Toggl timers under the TA button (all TA related)

Reading timers

Under the GT button

4 Likes

I use my Stream Deck on the home PC (I know, I know), instead of the work-issued Mac. The home PC is connected to 3 monitors - a 38" ultrawide, a 24" portrait and another 24" landscape. Stream Deck is super useful for me to send a window to a monitor and size it accordingly. I believe you can do the same using Keyboard Maestro and Stream Deck in the Mac. Here’s the way I set up the button with my own custom made icons:

3 Likes

I like the fact you’re making layout decisions - with all that real estate.

I try to for my 5 x 3 one. But don’t bother with it for my 3 x 2 one.

1 Like

And now I got Pi with touchscreen working as roll-yer-own I have even more layout freedom… :slight_smile:

1 Like

This one is quite simple and yes, the single action I have setup for Apple Notes (!), but I get such joy every time I press this button. hah hah

Simple goal… clean up folder view. Pressing the button initiates Keyboard Maestro macro to traverse all folders and collapse all open folders

So simple, but so necessary and so satisfying.

1 Like

What I actually tried to do with my 3 x 5 one, inheriting from my 2 x 3 one, was to create a standard cluster of buttons bottom right. And to fill from top left with app-related buttons.

In that “standard cluster” I had, if I remember correctly:

• Go to default profile
  • Go deeper
  • Open StreamDeck app

I should explain “go deeper”:

With 2 x 3 and 3 x 5 you soon run out of buttons so I created a button to open a second page - to extend the real estate. This also has the standard cluster bottom right. Obviously it’s more button presses in the second and subsequent pages so:

• You prioritise what’s on each page.
  • Each button has to be a “more serious” automation.

But now, via a combination of means, the real estate has opened up for me. So I should probably revisit.

(And now I realise I’ve written a whole blog post…) :slight_smile:

Has anyone had a profile disappear before? I did a usual task yesterday (pressed a button to lock my screen and activate the Stream Deck screensaver), walked away from my computer, came back this morning, and my laptop had restarted (the standard MacOS “because of a problem” message). My Stream Deck profile is gone.

I’ll be more careful this time and be sure to export it periodically, but just curious if anyone has seen this happen before.

This has happened to me when the Stream Deck app was running as “root” (because the installer runs as “root”).

Then when it was launched as my regular user, there was no profile information.

1 Like

@tjluoma or others - the Stream Deack macro/plugin which uses icalbuddy to count down to calendar events - will it work with Apple Calendar (which would mean a change to one of the KM macros, of course)?

Also has anyone designed a macro/plugin that displays today’s events, rather than counting down to them?

Many thanks.

Robert - just starting my Stream Deck journey!