Elgato Stream Deck XL

The ones that are conflicting are using the KM Link plugin.

You make a good point about using URL’s however. The Zoom set of buttons use kmtrigger: URLs and I suppose that is a way to add another layer of specificity.

1 Like

Can anyone point me to a simple explanation as to how to implement a single on/off button for lights on Stream Deck. I have managed to get a button to switch on my light via IFTTT and Webhooks. Trouble is it only goes on!

I know that it is possible to have another off button but I wanted to have a single button that is lit/unlit for on/off.

I have tried to follow the clever stuff that @tjluoma has in the post above about calendar meetings and buttons changing but that is beyond me at the moment. Thanks all.

Are they Hue bulbs? If so there are tools built-in to the Stream Deck software to connect it to a Hue bridge and see all of the rooms and scenes.

No, it is a standard lamp with a TP-LINK smart switch attached to it. One of their Kasa range of switches.

I have managed to get it all working so I can trigger the light on via Stream Deck, using IFTTT but want the finesse of the StreamDeck icon being ‘on’ and ‘off’! :slight_smile:

I only have Hue bulbs and I do not use IFTTT so I’m afraid I cannot give you any further help. Sorry about that.

On the right-hand side in the Stream Deck app, look for "the “Stream Deck” header/section, and then “Multi-Action Switch”

I think that might be what you’re looking for…

2 Likes

Thanks, yes, I think that it is. I assume that I need to create the two IFTTT actions for light on and light off and then apply them to the two switch states?

Yay! Sorted it. Black icon for light off and red for light on. Works a treat :slight_smile:

Thank you @tjluoma for your help.

2 Likes

Hi TJ & co,
I am feeling extremely incompetent - but I would love to work out how this gorgeous calendar button works out and I am NOT a programmer. (I’m also fairly new to StreamDeck and this is my first non-standard button)
I have downloaded the scripts, I think I’ve done the Terminal set up and I have a few ultra newbie questions:

1. Where should I save the images?
    Actually… I forgot to hit send and I figured most of it out. It is working beautifully. I still have the question about the images, though.
1 Like

Hey Debra! Welcome to the forums.

First - Please don’t be discouraged by not understanding this 100% right away. The “Calendar in Stream Deck” setup that I made is fairly advanced (it’s the most complicated thing I do with my Streak Deck) — which I say not to dissuade you from setting it up, but only to assure you that needing a little bit of help is not too surprising.

You don’t need to do anything with the images. They are simply there for people to use in case they wanted to re-use them with other Stream Deck buttons. I included them mainly so that people did not have to re-create them if they wanted to use them in other places.

If you look at the Keyboard Maestro macros, there are some that set certain colors for certain scenarios, and those colors are “embedded” in the Keyboard Maestro macros themselves, because Keyboard Maestro can set the color of a Stream Deck button.

In fact, the easiest way to change which colors are used (e.g. if you wanted “red” to be the “15 minute warning” and “yellow” to be the “5 minute warning”) you can just change which macro is called:

• R3C6 - Set Color Yellow
  • R3C6 - Set Color Red

I don’t think I explained that anywhere in the instructions, so I imagine it might have been a bit like finding extra screws left over after you assembled a piece of furniture! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you, TJ. I really want this button to work.
I’m glad to be here and learning lots. I’ve been observing for a while.
My button shows up, but it doesn’t seem to be updating from Fantastical - it did when I first tested it.
I can’t believe how useful the StreamDeck is now that I’ve started using it.

1 Like

Actually, I figured it out in KM.
The trick: make sure you have enabled ALL the moving parts of the macro.
Thank you!!!

1 Like

I am curious to hear what your opinion of the mobile version will be after you test it out.

1 Like

I haven’t gotten around to testing Stream Deck Mobile mobile yet. I’d be more motivated to give it a try if they had native support for the iPad.

In the meantime, I continue to be very happy with my Elgato Stream Deck XL.

I subscribed to the mobile app and installed it on an old iPad mini that’s been sitting in a drawer for the past few years.
I uninstalled everything I could, turned off the device password so now this device is 100% dedicated to stream deck. I’m enjoying it and for what I do with it (launch apps, move apps to different screens, contextual profiles etc) its working fine.
I have the screen zoomed in so the app takes all the real estate. Like I said- super happy

Rather than trying the Stream Deck mobile app I’d consider Metagrid. It gives me a huge number of buttons on my iPad. (12.9” 1st Gen Pro so lots of lovely screen real estate.)

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion @MartinPacker.

I’ve heard good things about Metagrid. I have some concerns about the stability of the app (based on what I’ve read) and, at first glance, I saw it as an app that’s primarily designed for facilitating things like music and sound editing. Though, it sounds like it can be used as a general-purpose controller.

One attraction to Stream Deck Mobile is that (I think) I’d be able to use the profiles that I’ve created for my Stream Deck XL. With Metagrid I’d be starting from scratch.

I’ll likely give both of them a try at some point.

2 Likes

I have to mention, though, that I automate from Metagrid through three mechanisms:

1. Key presses.
  2. Keyboard Maestro macros.
  3. Pauses.

If you are happy with doing it that way then great. But Stream Deck is obviously more flexible.

I suppose I should position my use of Metagrid as an overflow from my Stream Deck and Stream Deck Mini.

On the stability front, perhaps I’m a little more forgiving than others but they seem just about responsive enough to fix things. They are open to suggestions and they do seem to be making good attempts to fix. They’re just a little undercommunicative. They pop up on their Forums with reasonable frequency and reasonable responses.

2 Likes

The Stream Deck software makes it easy to backup, share, restore profiles and even share between devices.

I forget which it takes, but if loading a profile from a larger deck to a smaller, let’s say 32 to 15 (including mobile), you don’t get all 32. Only a subset. I’m not in a position to test at the moment but I was able to go from XL 32 to mobile 15 and back.

Update:

I checked importing an XL Profile into the Mobile app. The first 3 rows and first 5 columns of the profile are imported. Anything falling outside that space is ignored on import.

1 Like

Metagrid was completely unstable for me on my iPad mini 4 even on iOS 13.

I hope it has gotten better. Was a lot to spend on an app that I couldn’t use even once.

1 Like