Email client in 2021

I think this answers your question where MailMate is concerned, unless I’m misunderstanding your meaning.

I was intrigued by that and, after some googling, found that M1 chips “never sleep”. Wow! That almost neglect the need for server side rules.

1 Like

MailMate is just fantastic. I’m using the latest daily build (which allows for OATH2 authentication necessary for my work account) and have been so happy I gladly paid for a license.

Other apps might have good keyboard shortcut support (but I haven’t seen any as flexible or as powerful as MM).

But more than that, the default “Correspondence” view is a real game changer. It eliminated the need for about 90% of the searching I might do in a more typical mail app.

The “Correspondence” pane is a list showing all your emails to or from the currently highlighted email’s contact. It’s where I go to find out when I last emailed a person, whether they responded, etc.—it’s better than searching a “Sent” folder and a Client folder—and far more reliable than any “threading” view baked into some apps.

And the whole thing is fast.

4 Likes

I’m using hey.com. I love it.

1 Like

@macsparky I will be the first one to buy a MailMate Field Guide from you. I can be a beta tester too :grin:

2 Likes

After many years of enduring Airmail’s annoying issues, I am switching over to Spark. Hopefully it will serve me reasonably well.

Mailmate every time. Nothing else comes close

1 Like

There is a lot of love for MailMate on this forum and I’d be tempted to check it out but without an iOS application, it is a no go for me. I want a consistent app experience across the platforms.

7 Likes

It pairs just fine with Mail.app on iOS. Some prefer Preside as the iOS companion app. But to me Preside feels clunky, complex and ugly in a way that MailMate on Mac does not.

1 Like

I may give it a try once I order and my new M1 arrives per my earlier post. Does MailMate. Have the ability to create URL links to messages for use in other applications?

Yes, MailMate creates standard message:// links that work in Mail.app. (On macOS, they open in MailMate if it is your default mail app. On iOS they open in Mail.app)

In MailMate I have set the D key to create a new task in Things with a link to the current email message. Very handy.

4 Likes

I did not see Mimestream mentioned. I just downloaded the beta and I am yet to install and test it but the native design looks clean and the concept suits well my Gmail accounts. Anyone tried it ?

5 Likes

Love mimestream :slight_smile:
I’ve been using it since one of the earliest betas. Only any good if you use gmail though!

The fact it picks up my ‘send from’ addresses from gmail and allows me to choose makes it better for me than any other client I’ve used.

2 Likes

I’m a very happy Mimestream user for my work email. I’ll certainly be buying once it releases. I still open Mailplane some days, too. Since Mimestream is so lightweight, it’s not a big deal to use it alongside other mail clients.

Using something that feels like Mail.app, that has relevant, nearly instant, search results, is just…yeah. Great app.

2 Likes

I use Apple Mail (MacOS) with Office 360 (work) email account because its search capability far exceeds the other apps I have tried.

I really liked the look and feel of Spark (as I do the other Readdle apps), but when I last tried the search was sub-par.

The only other app that comes close is Outlook, but I prefer using Apple Mail.

1 Like

Agreed. In the last year Outlook as improved it’s speed and the search is spot on with all the #office365 apps. I also like how it’s tied to #teams especially for compliance purposes.

1 Like

I am currently torn between Mimestream and Mailplane.

The former is running a impressive spree of releases, and the developer is extremely responsive --latest release includes a fix for a bug I reported last week.

Mailplane gives a little more window control to the ever running proliferation of GMail and GCal tabs on the browser plus some slightly useful features. Scores pretty high for me because it allows native clipping to DEVONthink with a keyboard shorcut --current release has a bug that crashes after sending the clip to DT, they have it fixed in the current beta.

2 Likes

I’ve been a mailplane user for the past 5 years or so. Prior to that I ran Gmail in a browser dedicated to Gmail/G Suite only.

Just based on the mimestream website I’m not sure what it could offer, when it is complete, beyond that already provided by mailplane.

I agree. I used it for a year or two until my job forced us to use outlook.

Oh, Mimestream wins by being a fully native Mac wrapper for GMail, it aims to operate even the slightest GMail functionality in a native way. (Want to change a label color from Mimestream? Check!)

Granted, it cannot do much more than what the GMail web does but feels totally native.

1 Like