I am trying to set up a file sharing through a cloud storage accessible via SFTP between Macs and iOS/iPadOS devices and want to encrypt my files for additional security.
Setting SFTP file sharing is of course simple (through MountainDuck and Secure Shellfish, for example). But the encryption part is one where I just seem to unable to find a convincing cross-plattform app or solution. I initially thought my requirements were reasonably simple:
- Can use SFTP and/or supports iOS Files integration (that’s the easy part)
- No dependence on proprietary methods of access (such as creating an account)
- End-to-end encryption of files, folders, or an encrypted image file
- Trustworthy developer / development model (preferably open source, no anonymous US LLC)
But there always seems to be a catch somewhere:
- Encrypted DMG images: hardly supported on iPhone/iPad, the few options to mount them on iOS seem rather bare-bones and cumbersome
- Cryptomator: does not support SFTP storage
- Boxcryptor: requires creation of an account, no thanks!
- iCloud Drive, Dropbox: no end-to-end encrypted
- VeraCrypt: No official iOS app
- Disk Decipher: seems rather bare-bones, lack of app store reviews?
There’s of course of options for Macs, so iOS/iPadOS seems to be the limiting factor to the intended workflow. Does anyone have a good recommendation?
PS: I don’t even need to encrypt everything on the storage share/volume. Selectively encrypting sensitive files or folders would be good enough. For example, I’d be OK with using an encrypted zip (or 7z) file. It just should not be too cumbersome to use.