EQ and compression for mic input system-wide

I’m looking for a way to have a software equalizer and compressor applied to my built-in mic input on my 2016 MBP so that it’s always active with the same settings for every app. I’ve tried SoundSource from Rogue Amoeba but it only lets you apply effects to output. Any suggestions?

How do you intend to use audio during input without output? If you’re looking to massage audio from any input device you might be more interested in Rogue Amoeba’s Loopback (the only app of theirs I think I don’t own.).

1 Like

Basically I want to be able to put effects on my voice for Zoom recordings, Screencast, & various other apps and services I’m now using on a daily basis without needing to extract the audio files and add effects separately.

I wrote to Rogue Amoeba and they recommended using Audio Hijack for the effects on the mic and Loopback to create a virtual device. I haven’t had a chance to test that setup yet…

In the end I got the Rogue Amoeba podcast package b/c it wasn’t much more than Loopback by itself, but I got tired of messing around with the effects in Audio Hijack, & instead spent the $30 for MainStage. It’s probably overkill but the Bright Vocal settings were perfect without any further tweaking.

I’m also finding other uses for Loopback. I was streaming a video to one of my online classes the other day, and set up a virtual device which just had Safari and my mic, and set that as the input to Zoom, which worked perfectly.

Here’s what it looks like if anyone’s curious:

2 Likes

Looks good. I own everything from Rogue Amoeba except for Loopback I think.

I really regret not buying their plushie of their old cartoon logo when it was still solf; I believe it was retired after some unfortunate, well-publicized school shootings.