ERD Tool options/recommendations

Anyone know of an ERD tool that a) works with SQLite — we all have it and use it in the Apple eco-system, b) runs under macOS with a optional use on iPadOS too, c) isn’t SaaS or subscription-ware but preferably open source, d) linked specifically to larger DBMS such as MySQL/MariaDb, posgreSQL, etc.

Of late been making a lot of use of SQLite (specifically the command line tool SQLite3) to mash up various related CSV files I have. Think it is time that some normalisation is applied to the database I have created; it is barely in 1NF and some of the tables from the CSVs are not really in that at all.

There are other projects on-hand that need databases designed and having an ERD design tool would assist in the development of them. On-hand more like on-hold-for-lack-of-database-design.

Lots of possibilities here.

Thanks.

They seem to be mostly data exploration tools rather than database schema visualisation tools. I have been using DB Browser for SQLite for that sort of thing but its ERD diagramming tools that I’m really after now.

I’d suggest SQLEditor.

That looks great, not one I’ve seen before. But I can’t tell from the website if it can import CSV, or how it stores and makes available queries I’ve written and maybe want to use again. Do you know?

I’ve only ever used it for ER modelling. It will reverse engineer existing database schema and generate DDL for a new/ edited one. Views are created by defining the required query.

AFAIK, as an ERD tool, it doesn’t support the creation of standalone queries, stored procedures or triggers.

1 Like

But at $250 is way expensive if it doesn’t connect to a database or even generate schema/tables/primary key/foreign key definitions. For $250 less I found draw.io which does much the same as Omnigraffle with the same restriction of not generating DDL statements.