ESV Bible Copy to Clipboard — interested?

This is wonderful work, thank you!

1 Like

Sure thing! Glad it’s a help!

Hopefully an Alfred user can easily turn it into a workflow. It’s just a simple node script, so I’m assuming you can do that thing in Alfred without a problem; but don’t know :slight_smile:

Great work! I’ve found on another forum a (simple) Mac/iOS shortcut script which asks for a reference then copies the ESV text to the clipboard (I think others in this discussion have similar).

I’ve just added it to the menu bar on the Mac so it’s easy to get at - I don’t know if keyboard shortcuts are possible natively, but I don’t insert that many references that it’s a big deal!

1 Like

That’s great! Yes, I have something similar on iOS, but haven’t been able to get it to work consistently on macOS Shortcuts yet.

Have you considered publishing this to the Raycast Store?

Wow! Thank you for sharing. The set up page looks excellent as well.

If anyone in the thread can tell me what to modify for LaunchBar use, I’d appreciate it greatly!

1 Like

Hey! My understanding is that it’d have to be an “extension” rather than a script to publish in the store, but I should probably do a PR and submit it as a script.

For those who were interested in a Raycast Bible script, there’s now a free extension in the Raycast store that is amazing! It lets you search by something like 30 versions and copy/paste the searched text. Link here: josmithua/bible - Raycast Store

2 Likes

I was finally getting around to sitting down and writing my own ESV api extension for Raycast when I realized this had just been published and it’s 10x better than anything I could do :slight_smile:

thanks for sharing, very helpful indeed.

This is another reason why I prefer Raycast over Alfred for the time being. I am not good at getting things working from GitHub. I try to follow the previous instruction of getting an ESV api, etc, etc but could not get it to work at the VS code step. The Raycast version suits dummy like me

1 Like

Haha well, we’re all constantly benefiting from the work of others. I don’t think that makes us dumb :blush:.

To me, the advantage of Raycast is it uses common web frameworks and languages to build the extensions. The extensions are all built using React and Typescript. And scripts can be written in a variety of languages. There are literally countless developers who could very easily write amazing extensions or scripts for Raycast without needing to learn anything new. I think that’s sometimes the problem with other automation tools: the people who could easily write in extra features don’t want to take the time to learn a locked or proprietary system when they already can develop professionally for the web, and those who want features but can’t code need often to rely on others with more experience.

Raycast seems more and more like the best launcher because it invites seasoned devs to quickly write powerful integrations in normal languages. That invitation benefits us all.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. I’ve just started using Logseq for note taking and Bible study… to have such a good multi version cut and paste on hand is brilliant!

I’ve never been convinced I need a tool like Raycast… but Raycast is changing that!

1 Like

You’re welcome! Go Raycast :rocket:

I posted this functionality over to a full blown extension on Raycast if anyone js interested. All you need is a free API key!!

3 Likes