Evernote acquired by Bending Spoons

Just as a side note: DEVONthink for Mac has an Evernote import tool that transfers the notes to a DEVONthink database from where they can be always exported to the file system in standard file formats.

However, as it uses AppleScript for exporting the notes and attached files, it needs the legacy version 8 of Evernote installed.

(Disclaimer: I work for DEVONtechnologies. If this post is inappropriate, please delete it and let me know.)

14 Likes

I used DevonThink for years and it is a fine app. When I was using it, I describe it as “better Evernote than Evernote.” But only if you’re locked into the Apple-verse–if you need Android or Windows support, DT isn’t for you.

Why’d I stop using DT? I realized I wasn’t using the advanced features.

1 Like

I use Obsidian. I don’t do the PKM stuff, but I write in Markdown and I like Obsidian as a Markdown editor. And Obsidian also makes a nice document tracker for non-Markdown documents, such as PDFs and Microsoft Office documents.

For information I need fast access to on mobile, I use Apple Notes.

2 Likes

Hm. Bending Spoons seems to be on a shopping spree…

1 Like

So in this case, Bending Spoons appears to be taking a $20 one-time purchase to somewhere between $1 and $5 a week – or $52 to $260 a year.

1 Like

Launching the desktop app on my mac ks PAINFULLY slow I event tried uninstalling / reinstalling. I liked evernote for years but since the rebuild I find myself using it much less and i am due to renew in a few weeks. I need to figure out what to do!

When they released the M1 version of their Mac app I came back after a hiatus. It’s much improved, very quick. I’m quite happy with it on my Mac mini.

My 12 year journey:

Yojimbo ------> Evernote -------> DEVONthink Pro

DEVONthink hits all the sweet spots except for the price. Adding seats is putting me in the poor house.

5 Likes

WTH?! Been using Filmic since 2015. Supported them through their various tools in the past year. This weekly subscription is ridiculous.

This one had definitely help me decide to finally move out of Evernote since launch.

Just out of interest, how are you tracking them? I’m using Obsidian, but haven’t imported many non-markdown documents, other than the occasional PDF. I could use EagleFiler links, but they don’t work on mobile.

Is this Uri Gellers investment vehicle ?

5 Likes

I think they made loads of cash i.e bucketloads doing covid apps for the Italian government. They hit the sweet spot getting public contract with a governments in a panic.

This is why I no longer support startups. I’ve supported quite a few in my time who when they become popular sell out to a large company and they become ridiculously expensive.

Nope. Neo’s :wink:

You can drop any kind of document in an Obsidian vault and then link to it. Click the link and it opens in the native app. I do it frequently with Word documents.

2 Likes

A fancy website featuring apps that I have never heard of. Interesting.
Personally, I left Evernote about 8 years ago. Apple notes and reminders supplemented by Things, Devonthink and Box give me all that I need.
Cheers,
Bud

I never heard of them either but here’s some info for those that are interested.

https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/bending-spoons

So, somewhat related to this thread, Filmic, now apparently a Bending Spoons app, has moved to the v7 today, which is now exclusively subscription-based.

At the same time they rolled out the ‘Filmic Legacy’ app which is supposed to work for those who have bought Pro in v6 previously but for me this simply fails to detect any previous purchase and does not work.

I’m a little late to the party on this CEO-related news, but Evernote’s subreddit and official forums seem to indicate Ian Small is no longer the CEO and many board members and upper level staff have departed.

Not unusual for a merger I suppose but the communication on all this seems lacking.

I think they know, that the merger isn’t taken very happily by their community, and still presenting Ian Small on the Board or as CEO was their way, to calm down the user.