Evernote..Anyone Still Using It?

I saw that too, hopefully we will get to learn more about what changes they will be making specifically to help improve consumer confidence.

Iā€™m reminded of The Whoā€™s ā€˜Wonā€™t Get Fooled Againā€™: ā€œMeet the new boss/ Same as the old bossā€. Or perhaps more pertinent, an East African song that got people (in Kenya?) arrested for playing on the radio a few years back during election season, whose chorus was ā€˜Same bus, different driver.ā€™

1 Like

Evernoteā€™s problem could just be competition. They still have the best web clipper, IMO, but most of the other features that were important to me are now available from many other vendors. I used EN primarily for PDFs, bookmarks, clipping articles, and their excellent full text search. Today I use Google Drive, which offers full text search, for my PDFs & Keep for bookmarks, etc. And now I clip articles with Instapaper.

I suspect there are many others that have found they can roll their own EN replacement as easily as I did.

OTOH, during my last two years before retirement, I set up a shared EN system that I used to document all kinds of data that I hoped would be useful to my company: network diagrams, vendor lists, contacts, procedures, howtoā€™s, email threads from major projects, etcā€¦ EN Business made my task very easy.

But things change, remember myspace? In 2006 they got more hits/day than Google. . .

When it works. It stops working in Chrome every few weeks.
I gave up on it a long time ago.

Agree that competition, tech sophistication, changing customer demands, pricing, and fashion drive product acceptance. And ā€¦ Andā€¦

A free Evernote account for heritage files I might want but am not interested in dragging to new apps or storage satisfies.

A few years ago, I wrote about fasting and ketogenic diets. Evernote was a fine tool to store and organize PubMed info. Then assemble the dayā€™s story.

Now, Iā€™m gratified if a reader enjoys a tiny essay. Different work different tools.

Evernoteā€™s survival in this contextā€¦ no big deal. Nor do I mourn the passing of Q-Link as it morphed into AOLā€¦

Resurfacing this ancient thread to make a comment that my horrible mixed cursive and printed with shortcuts handwriting is being translated into typed text by GoodNotes with about 90% accuracy. I can then export the resulting text direct to DEVONThink or other formats for use later. The 10% it misses can usually be inferred by context. That is by far the best OCR of my handwriting Iā€™ve ever experienced.

3 Likes

Iā€™ll be curious to see how you do with the handwriting recognition in iPad OS 14.

I keep reading in reviews about how Appleā€™s handwriting recognition conquers even the most awful handwriting. But mine seems to thwart it.

1 Like

Me too, but Iā€™ll let someone else be the guinea pigs for rev 0 of iPad OS 14

1 Like

I think my subscription is still active, but I need to move to everything to Notes.
I havent added nything to Evernote for several years. I got tired of Clipper breaking from time to time. Also, Iā€™ve added a lot of stuff t Evernote, but never look at it.
Itā€™s time to clean house.

As @MacSparky calls it (When Katie was stll in the Podcast)- Evernote is like a Roach Motel. What goes in never comes out :wink:

I recently spent a week using Evernote with the intention of including it in the new Paperless Field Guide. I ended up cutting it from the material. I just canā€™t recommend a service to hold documents that canā€™t export as PDF.

3 Likes

Hey David, I get you dislike using Evernote, but this is simply not true, at least on the macOS version:

If you select your notes (one or as many as you want) and right click them, you can select ā€œSave attachments to folderā€¦ā€ (in English wording may be different).

If youā€™re dealing with a bunch of notes, Saved Searches and Cmd + A could be helpful for selecting the notes you need and you could even automate the whole thing via AppleScript, since its dictionary has a attachment class that works just fine.

I think that canā€™t be done in bulk via iOS, though, but it could be done file by file with the Share button.

You can certainly print as a PDF, just like with word documents, jpgs, excel spreadsheets, power points, etc.

So far I havenā€™t had an issue with Evernote. Itā€™s not perfect, but havenā€™t found something better. It is my filling cabinet and I love that other services can plug into it directly. I havenā€™t found a better solution that doesnā€™t require a ton of maintenance.

For example, I have a service that sends statements to evernote. Iā€™ve got a saved search that looks for notes / files that are not tagged with filed and came rom that service. itā€™s a custom inbox for the statements I havenā€™t reviewed. Once Iā€™m done reviewing I add the tag filed and itā€™s out of the inbox but retains all the tags that came in with the service. Similar for scans from my snapscan. What is the better option?

1 Like

If you use the Edit Menu function under Print to PDF you can select a program from the Applications folder. Iā€™ve added Notes which allows me to ā€œPrintā€ any text directly to the Notes app.

1 Like

Thanks @WayneG I do use this: Iā€™ve added Evernote, MarginNote, Yoink and a few Folders that trigger automation routines.

Actually that Folder addition alone is really worth trying if you havenā€™t done it before.

1 Like

@ldebritto I never thought about adding a folder. Thanks!

Very well noted, @Jeremy! It could even be easily automated via AppleScript.

I thought @MacSparky was referring to the PDF attachments on a note as that is usually the file that goes into a paperless filing systemā€¦

1 Like

Very handy for receipts!

Oh yes, you could be right about that too. Especially if youā€™re attaching PDFs or Pictures of something like receipts. Save those to a folder, run some Hazel magic if you want, and off you go.

1 Like

Evernoteā€™s web capture feature is still hard to beat. While many apps copy snippets of website along with links back, EN can capture the entire page.

This has saved me multiple times as many of the websites have been ghosted for various reasons and I can still retain the historical content.

While you can print to PDF as others suggested, various export options would be the feature that would give EN a kick in the pants.

However, their focus is on the back-end putting it on a common structure. This drastic change in underlying code will be fraught with issues as it is like starting over.

Additionally, the focus is on Spaces which is aimed at the business users with subscription fee.

What is disherating is ENā€™s lack of engagement with the users and it totally one way. No Forum, No transparency into the roadmap. Their Behind the Scenes YouTube videos all have comments off.

I did get a response on ENā€™s Twitter but the response of ā€œHope Soā€ Hope is not a strategy.

Apparently, I got a smokā€™n deal at $1.94 a month so it is still and will remain part of my workflow serving the functional of reference mainly of documentation and web captures that lends itself to the file cabinet folder/tag structure.