Evernote v10 iOS and iPadOS - The Elephant is BACK!

What did I just read - 50 notes max and 1 notebook for free users? The Evernote guy is blowing more holes in an already sinking ship.

1 Like

The free tier has become basically a “try before you buy” option. I do not exactly like it --although I’m a paying EN user-- but there is some logic to it. A free user with unlimited storage does not generate any revenue other than free marketing, and these Bending Spoons are all about maximising profit. But they may have skimmed too much, because even Notion apparently has a more generous free tier.

We’ll see how that impacts on the product.

1 Like

I kind of chuckle when I hear free users bemoaning the new changes.

“I’ve put my entire life into this app for 12 years, and now I have to redo everything and move to another service”.

Yeah – or you could – ya know – pay for it?

It’s one thing if people deem the prices to be too high (they are kind of crazy), but to expect them to continue providing updates and full functionality – enough to “run your life” – without any cost to the user is a bit ridiculous.

It may sound harsh, but I would have done this 10 years ago.

8 Likes

You may be correct. When Phil Libin was CEO of Evernote he once said, “the easiest way to get 1 million people paying is to get 1 billion people using”.

In 2011 he said: “In the old days you would spend a huge sum of money getting one million users – a sales and marketing team, a Super Bowl ad,” he said. “But with the freemium model you spend that money building a product and giving it to people, and you end up with the same number of paying users.”

And that "Apple’s iOS platform provides the most total revenue for Evernote, as well as the most revenue per developer hour and the largest number of new users per developer hour. . . . In other words, the iPad is the most profitable platform out there . . . "

the register: Phil Libin at the funder conference

EN was flying high in those days.

3 Likes

Doped on venture capital, I guess.

“ With just three weeks’ worth of cash at hand, Libin came to the grim realization that Evernote as a company would not survive. With little money and fewer prospects, Libin agonized about how he would break the news to his team and employees.

It was around that time that Libin received an email from a Swedish user who loved Evernote. The user, whose identity remains a secret to this day, told Libin that Evernote had made him happier and more productive. However, the Swedish user didn’t want to just tell Libin how much they loved the app—they wanted to invest. Libin admitted that the company was in need of funding, at which point the mysterious Swedish Evernote evangelist offered to front the company $500,000.

Evernote was saved.”

4 Likes

What did I just read - 50 notes max and 1 notebook for free users? The Evernote guy is blowing more holes in an already sinking ship.

It’s only at this late hour that we begin to understand why it was called “Evernote” and not “Evernotes.”

4 Likes

Some are receiving a one time upgrade offer for $19.99 to double the limit to 100 notes :rofl:

3 Likes