Evernote's updates and new pricing

It depends on how you use them. If you’re like me and a lot of early users of Evernote who used it primarily as a repository of archival information, then yes. But if you use it as a collaboration and note-taking tool as they seemed to have it moved it, then it’s more like Notion, Craft, and Trello.

Maybe happy users don’t complain on forums or look for replacement apps?

1 Like

I view Evernote as a web-collection tool and Read-It-Later alternative

Despite its flaws, I believe it is superior to the other options - especially its web capture tool

And it has an API which allows for subsequent integration with just about any other app

i don’t even see it reccomended…

I would recommend Evernote - if you want to archive alot of webpages while cutting out the waste like most of the ads.

I’m impressed with the new collaborative editing features.

I’m moving away from Evernote because I don’t need the features it offers for the price it charges.

I was a satisfied EN premium user for several years and it took a while to put together a package that works for me.

If you need a web clipper, check out GoodLinks If you need an everything bucket, you might like EagleFiler. And if you need web based storage with excellent search nothing, IMO, beats Google Drive.

2 Likes

Thanks. The missing piece for me was obtaining a URL for an Apple Note to include with the calendar entry. I have found that info now, so I believe I’ll be all in with Apple Notes.
https://youtu.be/s-EbaMxgHpU

1 Like

for my use case they are. Its a repository of notes, webpages, articles, anything else, etc. I have never “taken a note” in evernote. I went from Yojimbo to Evernote and then to DEVONthink. DEVONtech seems to think evernote is a competitor also:

what do you use evernote for if you already have DEVONthink?

1. Web capture from iOS - I am a huge DT3 fan but DTTG is a disappointment

2. Sharing a web clipping is easier with Evernote than DT3 - especially if I want to share an article behind a paywall (or again if I am using iOS)

Understood. I tend to think of apps in terms of macOS only as iOS/ipadOS for the most part frustrates and disgusts me when I want to get things done. I use my iPhone for bare minimum stuff like phone functions, camera, and RSS :grinning:

3 Likes

DEVONtech seems to think evernote is a competitor also:

We really don’t think about it much, quite honestly. We do what we do and stay our course. The blog post was written to assist any Evernote expats.

6 Likes

When I called evernote a “competitor” I was just being nice. we know the real truth. :grinning:

1 Like

devonbison

2 Likes

The good thing about Devonthink being a native Mac App is that its scriptable with shortcuts and other app plugins. For example your article behind a paywall… I use popClip which has a devonthink plugin. Highlight the article, select add to devonthink when popclip pops up and its added. Its not as elegant as the Evernote clipper but the point of my reply is there are ways to make it happen.

As far as your web capture on IOS, I don’t really do that so I can’t speak to it.

1 Like

I switched to DevonThink maybe 6 months or so ago and haven’t looked back. What I love the most is that Im not locked in. I can literally see all my data in finder if push came to shove and its not in a mystery cloud format that needs “exported”.

Btw is evernote still limited to 50 notes per export? Thats insane if so. I had to use the legacy version to migrate. No way in hell I was going to migrate 50 notes at a time.

This has come up before and is discussed here. Entire notebooks can be exported, not just 50 notes at a time.

Evernote to DEVONthink Import - Software - MPU Talk

Evernote Import Broken (on Evernote 10.0) - DEVONthink - DEVONtechnologies Community

1 Like

DEVONthink and Evernote have the “big bucket” feature in common, along with web capture, otherwise they are not the same. However, all of the other features lost when I got rid of Evernote were not so essential that cutting that cord was easy. Especially after I imported all the Evernote notes into an DEVONthink database, so they were not lost.

Katie

1 Like

I can literally see all my data in finder if push came to shove

And you should only be in a database’s internals if push has truly come to shove. No one should mess about in their database’s internals without very good reason, ideally talking to us first.

1 Like

I’m going to suggest a combo I think started by @pantulis, which is Notebooks + Eagle Filer + Files (Default apple app). It has proven to be great.

Just yesterday in a notebook related to my health I added some info related to what my psychiatrist told me, and I trust it will be there and future proof with markdown. Also, I scanned my prescription with my scanner and imported it from my email (not the smoothest workflow to eagle filer.

You can go to your “To import) folder of eagle filer directly with your iphone and scan a document right there.

2 Likes

To keep app independence and mobile parity, for this scenario I have an “Inbox” folder in the root of my iCloud Drive where I put everything to be archived. I have it on my Finder windows sidebars, on a keystroke shortcut (CMD+NumPad .), and also as a shortcut on Files when I’m using my phone. I then go about it when I have some spare time on my computer and archive everything to its final resting location with the Finder.

2 Likes