Face ID Questions

Generally it works really well, whether I’m wearing my glasses or not. Sometimes fails in the bright Australian sun.
I love being able to do my internet banking using my retina scan.

I’ve gone from a solid meh on FaceID to wishing I had TouchID back almost every day. It does not work with sunglasses for me, or hats, and I better not have a scarf either. It only works reliabl if I take off hat and sunglasses and hold the phone straight out in front of me, looking down at it is a sure way ttto make it fail. It’s not that it fails every time, but it fails enough to be frustrating and it fails way more than TouchID fails on my iPad.

@SteveH Sounds like you need to disable it and then re-enable it so you can teach it again. Maybe when you first set it up it didn’t get a great read of your face. Be very deliberate in turning your head away from the phone when it asks you to look full circle. If it has bad data, it’s bound to fail more often.

Also, what do you do when it fails to read your face? If it fails, always enter your pass code. This tells the phone “that was me, so update your data” and it’ll add the failed read it just took to what it thinks your face looks like. This means it’ll learn every time it gets it wrong. If you cancel it and try again, it learns nothing from the mistake.

I enter the passcode on a failed attempt, but I have not noticed any improvement. I’ll redo FaceID when I update to iOS12 and see what happens.

I have the Xs max only a few days yet, but until now face id works so seamlessly, I actually checked if I even had lockscreen protection turned on. I used it in a completely dark room last night and that also was no problem. I didn’t try it with sunglasses though.

I have an Xr coming next week. I currently have an 8 Plus. A part of me wants to stick with a hard button.

For something like 1Password, currently, I have to use my thumb print to open up the app. With FacedID, I assume it just checks your face instead? For those sites that annoyingly have the inputs for username and password on two different pages, I assume then that it has to check my face twice. In your experience, does FaceID seem quicker than pressing a button in this instance?

I also have my phone in a vent holder in my car. If I want to change a podcast or a song, am I going to have to pick up the phone and hold it in front of my face? That honestly could be a deal breaker for me.

1Password works great with Face ID for dilling in fields. It copies the password to the clipboard briefly so that you don’t need to access it twice. As you are already looking at your phone, it works both quickly and seamlessly in my experience.

As for selecting a new song whilst driving, perhaps this is where Siri from the lockscreen could be useful.

1 Like

I know someone who has issues with it (and the X before it) when he’s wearing sunglasses and also when he’s backlit. I think his phones don’t like him.

I loved Touch ID, but I really love Face ID on the Max. The only time I have issues is when I try using it when I have my hand on the side of my face.

Sunglasses often block infrared, which FaceID uses to read you.

Max unlocks well for me …including dark rooms…

Face ID with 1Password is awesome. Much better than Touch ID and I was a fan of Touch ID.

Within 1 day, I loved FaceID. It’s so fast and all my concerns were non-issues. So happy.

3 Likes

It took me about a week to get used to ApplePay on the Xs Max, but I wouldn’t go back to Touch ID now. Face ID is so much faster, I just don’t think about it anymore.

2 Likes