Fantastical + Cardhop Price Increase

So I just went to check whether pricing in euros has been announced ā€“ and, yes, it has. And the increase is 59% (!) and not the 42% for those of us paying in euros:

ā‚¬44 (ā‚¬3.67 per month) ā†’ ā‚¬70 per year (ā‚¬5.83 per month).

cc @MarkusJ

1 Like

Youā€™re right, BusyCal doesnā€™t include ios on SetApp. But itā€™s only $6.99 ā€¦ I donā€™t know if Iā€™ll use BusyCal or just go back to free Apple Calendar.

It seems to me that when I tried free Fantastical, it gave me almost no features, wouldnā€™t even show a weekly view (which is what I primarily use). Maybe theyā€™ve changed that. Weā€™ll see what happens when my subscription runs out in March.

The non-subscription Fantastical is very limited if you havenā€™t grandfathered in a 2.0 purchase.

Ah, I bet thatā€™s why I have some functionality. I did purchase it direct from Flexibits at one point.

I donā€™t know where youā€™re getting your pricing from but on the UK app store the price is Ā£38.99. Unless youā€™re talking about the family subscription?

I really like fantastical. Thereā€™s a mass of difference between it and the stock calendar. I use openings and itā€™s great as is being able to propose a meeting date without all the email tooing and froing. Cardhop is also great at allowing you to make time stamped notes.

Itā€™s expensive if all you need is a calendar, but not if you need to be able to easily arrange meetings and make notes on people you connect with.

2 Likes

Looking at the flag I probably live in a different EU country than Dario, but I indeed see the exact same price increase: :cry:

• ā‚¬44 (roughly the Ā£38,99 svsmailus mentions) is the current yearly price, in the App Store
  • ā‚¬5,83 is the new (2023) price per month, when paying yearly, on Flexibits

PS: finally a reason to use Soulver :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for that! Looks like the app store is lagging behind. When I logged in on flexibits it told me my sub has changed the new price is Ā£60 a year.

Looks like I might have to rethink this :roll_eyes:.

Apologies to @dario for doubting his prices!

3 Likes

Found this via /r/macapps, this seems pretty comprehensive and it might be useful for those looking for alternatives to Fantastical:

I have cancelled my subscription for now (I was up for renewal right in January after the new pricing comes into effect). Not sure whether I will migrate to some other app or just wait and see whether I can manage with the free Fantastical (Iā€™m mostly going to miss the calendar sets).

5 Likes

Same. Will miss the calendar sets too. Just wish they would have tiers. Like I donā€™t use cardhop and donā€™t need the weather nor the advanced meeting things.

Just the basic app with 1(!) extra calendar set. As a paid customer since v1 I feel a little bitā€¦disappointed.

Oh well. Time for another app I guess.

1 Like

The new prices are now live in the App Store. 69,99 ā‚¬ per year (+59%) here in Germany. I donā€™t think this is justified and have just cancelled my subscription.

1 Like

Iā€™m with you. The price increase is A LOT, and Iā€™ve paid for every version since the initial release. I was excited for Cardhop, but itā€™s just not easy for me to use.

Iā€™ve got a little while before I need to renew, and Iā€™m willing to pay for software (and even a subscription!), but this increase for something when I donā€™t even use all those features, but love the general interface, is difficult to justify.

So more than 50% of their customers should cancel for them to actually feel the pain?

(Otherwise they still profit from this move - though maybe not enough to cover real inflation numbers)

I finally got a chance to go through this sheet to look at competitors with which I was unfamiliar. I can see why Flexibits thinks they can pull off a price increase. The upstart that fills in the most green, Amie, for example, only supports Google accounts. Most others have been around awhile, havenā€™t significantly changed and likely been found undesirable in the past when Fantastical was originally chosen. Some are now more willing to compromise to save money, of course, but without an exciting alternative, probably not enough to make the increase unsuccessful. Curious about othersā€™ take on the list.

They may still be making a profit on existing customers. But I think it will be hard to win new customers with these prices.

This thread has inspired me to give Busycal a try again. Itā€™s part of Setapp, which I have. My Flexibits Premium account runs through July, so that gives me some time to see if this sticks.

Iā€™ve been giving a few apps a try over the past days as my Flexibits Premium expires in a week and I have no intention of renewing it. Still considering whether to stay with the free version of Fantastical; I will decide when I see exactly what I lose with no Premium.

As BusyCal was on sale until the New Yearā€™s Eve, I bought that. On the Mac, I think BusyCal will entirely replace Fantastical for me. Fantastical may look a bit nicer but in terms of the menu bar app, the natural language input and most of the features, these two are on par.

Sadly BusyCal on iOS is rather basic, and on the iPad does not support keyboard shortcuts at all, so on mobile BusyCal needs a major update.

I think I will use Readdleā€™s Calendars on iOS/iPadOS. It has the natural language input and as I have the ā€˜Calendars 5ā€™ version which was a one-time purchase (the app with the yellow icon), thereā€™s no subscription there (thereā€™s also a version of Calendars with subscription). The subscription version (the app with the blue icon) gets you the Mac app as well, but BusyCal is still more powerful on the Mac (Calendars has no menu bar app for example).

Just got the invite to beta test Amie yesterday so Iā€™m giving that a go as well on iOS and the Mac (thereā€™s no iPad optimised version yet).

Most on this forum remember when software cost A LOT MORE than it does today. And then there was the race to the bottom brought on by Appleā€™s app stores and prices plummeted. Below sustainable levels. So many apps have moved to subscriptions or have raised there price tags, yet still do not approach the prices of yesteryear. Prices go up and down. They stick if people pay.

2 Likes

I tried Fantastical 5 or so years ago. Lots of features even back then. And Iā€™ve used BusyCal, Readdleā€™s Calendar, and Apple Calendar. BusyCal worked best for me at the time. Calendar & Tasks together and the integration with BusyContacts were just what I needed for a couple of big projects.

As I recall I thought Readdleā€™s calendar looked good but it didnā€™t have integration with contacts. Fantastical is a quality product but I didnā€™t need most of its features and wasnā€™t a fan of the design. As I recall you couldnā€™t turn off the sidebar and it took up too much room on a 13in screen.

I would guess most people get along just fine with Apple Calendar. Iā€™ve seen some users add a second local calendar and use all day events on it as tasks.

I agree most just need Calendar when looking at the whole population. People willing to pay for a calendar probably have more going on, or are in a situation where removing friction from schedule management pays for itself.

2 Likes

Basically the only thing missing from Appleā€™s default app is calendar sets. Everything else is icing on the cake.

2 Likes