Far future tasks

Just curious how far into the future other MPU listeners put tasks into your task management systems for?

If I scroll down to the bottom of the forecast view in OmniFocus, I’ve got a couple of tasks due in 2024: one to renew my passport and a couple related to the 2024 total eclipse.

1 Like

I rarely do task planning beyond the next 14 days on a rolling basis (i.e, updated in my daily reviews).

1 Like

I have a few tasks further out like yours, also when to expect new credit cards and so on (deferred until 6 weeks before the current expires), but beyond things like that which will clearly happen regardless, I generally don’t plan tasks more than a year in advance. I do use a calendar as a tickler file though where I put things I want to review at a particular time in the future.

1 Like

I only use task lists for tasks I need to be getting done within a few weeks or months.

Events far in the future go into my calendar. If I want them to be actionable I give myself an alert ‘x’ number of days/weeks in advanceto prepare myself.

Events that get done every so often (like turning & vacuuming my mattress every six months) go into Due, which I use synced on both my iOS devices and Mac. I could put them in my calendar too, but I like Due for its voluble alerts and the easiness in deferring and repeating tasks.

1 Like

Aside from document/card expiry, I don’t find value in planning too far out in the future.

My work has me traveling quite a bit, which requires me to keep my schedule and my tasks fluid.

1 Like

I try not to have to much in there past the 6 month mark, for fear of over cluttering the thing, I suspect that OF3 on Mac might change that for me

1 Like

Using Things, in my case, i set up a project called Appointments & Dates. I stick next years eys exam, renewals of various licensesn … No visual clutter but easily accessible… Reminds me when the task’s time has come…

A year or two ahead is routine.

But, I missed one renewal, and it caused hours of hoop jumping. Now, if there’s a set date it goes into Things 3 in Appointments & Dates…

1 Like

Longest in my task manager is 10 years out. Longest in my paper tickler file is 15 years. I have a paper list that sits in December that lists things coming up at that time that I check during my winter solstice major quarterly review. Things coming up in thenext couple fo years get added to Omnifocus.

1 Like

I have personal items logged into Things that are pretty far out like to refill prescriptions (90 days) and the like. I also have some that are a few years in advance like vacations for milestone anniversaries or birthday’s or graduations. (While I don’t forget birthday’s certain “milestones” have crept up on me and I’ve scrambled them to make them memorable!)

As for work, not so much.

1 Like

Like you I have tasks in Things several years head. Makes sense to put a reminder for anything that needs to be remembered, however far ahead.

2 Likes

I go as far in the future as my life forecasts, similar to you, I have tasks that recur every 3 years, renewing my PMP. Other tasks are in the long term future.
This is the beauty of the system, you defer and really forget about it. The system will ensure to remind you about that.

1 Like

My furthest action is due in April 2031 :slight_smile: I have recently taken mortgage and got the schedule of payments. With a workflow workflow it was so easy to parse the list of dates to a calendar and to create actions with due dates couple of dates prior to payment to make sure that I transfer sufficient amount to that account.

2 Likes

I have a Someday/Maybe list in my trusted system. Most of the entries on that list don’t even have a due date, but technically they are not “tasks” yet…

(latest stuff with a date is for renewing driver’s license / passport)