Favorite email client?

So, as near as I can tell in a cursory view, I would harbor a guess based on where I want to go that

• Mailmate is a power user’s dream behind a straight-up vanilla UI
  • Postbox is Mailmate with a fancier UI and the ability to work beyond just plain text
  • Thunderbird is a watered down Postbox with some additional UI bling and widgety-type plug-ins

Again, while I currently like Spark on iOS where I just want to display emails that I should read, I need a different approach on macOS where I want to do the administrative work on the emails.

Thoughts on my quick-and-dirty Mailmate to Postbox comparison? I can’t help but to think that I’m missing something that suggests Postbox is as good as Mailmate in features AND has the ability to do more than just plain text AND has a fancier UI. Also, as to Thunderbird, I really don’t want an email app that promotes integration with chat and calendars. Just email thank you. I have other apps to do those other things. Yes, it is free but, sometimes you don’t get what you don’t pay for.

In the meantime, I am leaning toward Mailmate or Postbox and will download both to test soon.

JJW

I used Postbox only shortly, so I may not have all the information, but Smart Folders in MailMate are way more powerful. The amount of conditions you can define is insane :slight_smile: You can also define rules to trigger certain actions when a message is added to the folder.

1 Like

Great news! :partying_face:

“widgety-type plug-ins” are just a fraction of Thunderbird add-ons.

The integration really isn’t promoted that often, and you can hide those other features altogether.

Regardless, you do get what you don’t pay for, considering that would be fraudulent otherwise, not to mention that people would’ve caught on.

I received my invite code for the new Mac/iOS Mail Pilot overhaul this morning, so it’s too soon to say if it’s a favorite. But it looks pretty sweet.

It looks very promising. I found too many “beta” issues to use it beyond my trial, but I will definitively monitor it. No image blocking, basic composer, no proper support for work with attachments, trouble using HTML signatures etc.

1 Like

Is it free? Is it packed with features?

There is no such thing as a free lunch :slight_smile:

I need SpamSieve integration, which Postbox lacks, so now I’m going to investigate MailMate, though it does seem like overkill for my needs.

The idea that I should have to add plug-ins to administer email robustly or the idea that I should want email to plug in things other than the functions required to administer email robustly … these are the two issues. Granted, they are widgets only when they do not contribute to the core features that I need. Otherwise, they are simply missing features to the core application that you subsequently have to get through plug-ins.

JJW

If you’re speaking philosophically, maybe. But as far as I’m aware, there’s zero actual relationship between Mailmate and Thunderbird. And there are lots of features in Mailmate that Postbox doesn’t have. For example, as far as I’m aware, Postbox doesn’t support Markdown.

I would say instead that Postbox is a juiced-up Thunderbird, as it’s (at least originally) quite literally built on the Thunderbird code base.

2 Likes

These insights are great help. Thanks!

JJW

1 Like

I’m a fan of SpamSieve’s developer, and I am glad people love his product (I use his shoebox app EagleFiler) but my mail all comes through services like Gmail which already do a fantastic job of sifting out spam into spam folders so I never saw the need for SpamSieve. Indeed, one of my biggest annoyances with Apple Mail is that I repeatedly need to train it to accept mail it thinks is Junk… and it never seems to learn from its training.

1 Like

Server side spam filtering is great, when you want it. However, I prefer to be able to do it myself, and have (attempted) to turn it off on of my accounts. I also run Little Snitch so that I can determine what each individual email is allowed to access. It’s slightly time consuming to setup, but once it is setup, it works really well. At least for me.

Mail Pilot wants my credit card number to even start beta testing it. Not a chance in hell.

1 Like

:rofl: - Amen to that! They can kick rocks all day!

1 Like

This isn’t a great solution, but I have Bear running anyway, so I will often copy HTML, switch to Bear, paste it (which converts it to Markdown), and then copy the Markdown out of Bear.

Couldn’t Marked 2 do it as well?

Marked does “Markdown to HTML”… I’m not sure about “HTML to Markdown”

And I already have Bear running. I don’t usually have Marked running.

There are at least two Popclip extensions that can convert basic HTML; I use one by Terpstra called WebMD (WebMarkdown): “Clicking it will convert the selected headlines, text and links (including image links) to Markdown in your clipboard.

1 Like

That has me laughing. I have no idea why an image of developers kicking rocks in hell for an eternity came to mind. :slight_smile:

1 Like