Federico, The iPad guy, uses MacBook and becomes prolific

One couldn’t help but smile reading that, sounds very much like my wife. :slightly_smiling_face: Sometimes tech nerds (I can’t figure out if I qualify or not!) make things more complicated than they need to be.

3 Likes

If you don’t know, you definitely are one :wink:

1 Like

That is good to know, I like being in an “exclusive” club. :joy:

Anybody who uses DevonThink and has opinions on their preferred task manager is absolutely, without fail. That, and you are literally a well-known and well-respected member of the Mac Power Users forum.

Sir, you’re a nerd. (We all are.)

1 Like

Almost sounds as if they took mine a bit too literally: :sweat_smile:

“Try to put everything in the subject line!
Everything the recipient needs to know and act on!”
If they don’t even have to read the mail body, to reply / give you what you need, that’s perfect!"

Well, of course I’ll make sure to add:

if you can do it in half an SMS’s worth (80) of characters or less.
And do include references to make it easy to find things. Account/client/invoice number, or date, etc.

I’ve seen many just put “enquiry” or something in the subject line though.

1 Like

You made my day! Now, I just need an official nerd badge. :grin:

1 Like

You are right, most of Apple’s sales come from iPhones. IPad’s were only 8.7% of total sales in 2021. Macs accounted for almost 10%.

https://statstic.com/apple-revenue-by-product-category/

My father had a MacBook for a number of years and was always struggling to use it. I eventually convinced him to buy an iPad Pro and he is much happier with it’s simplified workflow. He came over the house the other day and had his iPad. I watched him open up Mail and fly through his Inbox. He has become very comfortable doing the things he needs, email, web browsing, catching up on baseball scores.

To us tech nerds, the iPad seems full of frustrating limitations, but for the non-tech obsessed, it really is better.

6 Likes

This! All of my older relatives are described here.

I’m really happy that Apple has managed to keep the original interaction methods in place as they’ve iterated iPadOS over the years. As I gradually found myself adopting the iPad I was always aware that I could go back to the Mac at any time should I need or want to. But for many the Mac/Windows was either never an option or it was one that became confusing as they got older.

And it seems that with iPadOS 16 we have yet another year of new options available to those that want greater flexibility but I’m very happy that the older folks will update their iPads in the fall and only see the smaller changes that they can adapt to if they notice them at all.

3 Likes

I feel like a blindside of this thread (unsurprisingly given who the audience is) is the fact that the $329 iPad and cheaper refurbs/used iPads exist and are a great resource for people with less disposable income.

If your options are a $1000 iPad Pro or a $1300 Macbook pro, the Macbook pro will likely be the better choice for doing “more stuff”. Many people can’t afford both. But if you’re a college student with a $2,000 budget, that macbook air plus an ipad air/used ipad pro/$329 ipad might be better than a macbook pro.

1. Being able to take notes with an apple pencil is incredibly useful
  2. Being able to not carry your entire computing life (I can’t tell you the number of stolen computers I knew of as an undergrad) walking around campus is incredibly useful. Taking notes in class on an ipad then coming home to your mac to “do real work” means you’re not carrying a $1300+ computer everywhere.

In such a circumstance, learning how to do as much as possible on an iPad is incredibly useful, even if not entirely practical.

The tldr; of course is you should buy the tool for the right purpose. But parts of this thread seem weirdly hostile against “apple bloggers” for heralding the iPad, particularly when macOS isn’t the solution to every problem. I probably see a souped-out Macbook Pro every six months on Craigslist with a listing saying something along the lines of “I bought this for my business but it doesn’t run Important Software I need so I’m selling it to buy a Windows Computer”

5 Likes

Apple sells more iPads Annually than Macs. Only iPhone sells more (significantly more)

Maybe people use them in a limited fashion because the software on them is limited. Many people own Macs and also use them for Facebook and email. Does that mean Apple should stop progressing the Mac?

By revenue, yes. By volume iPad will be higher than Macs.

1 Like

That isn’t my experience, and not what I shared in my example. Others have posted similar examples in this thread. We are power users, but many folk just use an iPad (or iPhone) to access FB, email and the like, and do not want more. Apple does experiment and push boundaries with the iPad, but equally they will be aware of who is buying their hardware.

I don’t know any person who has spent the sizeable price of any of the Macs and then only used it for social. I find it hard to believe such a person exists unless they just really like tech (why would you spend all that money when you could buy an iPad instead?). Aside from the cost, it’s also impractical - tablets are much easier to hold, transport and interact with.

My Dad. He got a Mac mini, replacing an original iMac (which we kids got for him), just to surf the web, email, and such. Of course, the iPad was not an option then. :slight_smile:

And eventually he did get an iPad, and the Mini gathered dust.

But I do know people who use a Computer (capital C!) pretty much just for web and email. And I think most would be better served with a iPad (or similar).

…if it weren’t for a lack of a proper full-size keyboard and mouse.

Sure, you can use an external bluetooth keyboard. But few people do.

1 Like

I didn’t think I was insulting anyone.

1 Like